Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flashing tool over CAN and external circuit for boot pins

mubinicyer
Associate II
Posted on May 26, 2014 at 13:36

Hello,

Is there any flash tool for linux (or windows) over CAN-bus? STM32F105 is capable to boot from CAN-bus but I didn't find any tool for that.

What is the best way to boot the chip from system memory without accessing to it for changing the boot pins. My idea is following, correct me if it is wrong:

An external circuitry is needed to change the boot pins before reset the chip and hold the pins during  reset. After reset, the chip will run the bootloader. What is the ''best'' way to design such a circuitry? CMOS series Flip-Flop?
1 REPLY 1
Posted on May 26, 2014 at 21:25

I guess the assumption is that if you have the tools/resources to do CAN bus on a PC, you can develop a protocol and code to support it to upgrade your own part. The payload carrying ability of CAN is rather low, and the system loader mainly targets the initial boot loader loading (debricking) mechanism, with the developer providing a more robust/refined solution and user interface for there own system and feature set. I don't recall seeing a CAN IAP implementation, but the other IAP examples would be worth review, and then think how you want to perform field updates.

Not even sure you'd need to control the BOOTx pins, it should be possible to jump straight into the system loader ROM. It certainly works for USART, haven't tried DFU/CAN on the F1 series, but have done so on the F2/F4's

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..