Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32 Dac strange behaviour...

gullik
Associate II
Posted on January 02, 2014 at 16:26

Hello,

I have been trying some waveform generation using DAC + DMA. This works quite nicely, and I am now generating I + Q waveforms for a small SDR radio project. Just to see what cand be done, I have pushed up the rates. As rates goes up, output slewing reduces the amplitude. This is expected, but I am still able to generate a reasonable waveform at 200 khz.

However, going to this rate, output level only spans 2 V pp, with a measured VDD of 2.956 V . DAC 2 is centered at half VDD, and reaches within 0.5 V from either VDD or GND.

But DAC 1 is centered on 2 V, and it does reach VDD, but the negative part only reaches 1 V, so it seems like a DC component is introduced.

So, I enabled the output buffers. Now I get some more amplitude, but the signal looks like a triangular, so slewing rate is *worse* when enabling buffers. The unbuffered waveform is a fairly nice sine, (which is from the sinetable), and slewing without buffers just smooths the signal to within 3-5% of an ideal sine, BUT with a DC offset on one DAC. Does anyone have an idea what is happening here?

G

#dac-dma-buffer
5 REPLIES 5
gullik
Associate II
Posted on January 02, 2014 at 16:39

And since I discovered this forum is for *many* boards, the one I am using is the STM32F4Discovery.

raptorhal2
Lead
Posted on January 02, 2014 at 17:33

It's deja vu all over again.

PA4 and PA5 have dedicated board connections that are probably affecting the loading conditions. See Table 2 in the Discovery board users reference manual.

Cheers, Hal

gullik
Associate II
Posted on January 02, 2014 at 17:52

Thanks Hal, how come I did not realise this...

I will check if I can remove unnecessary stuff. This is probably why one DAC has a level shift. However, it seems PA4/PA5 are the only choices here.

Do you have any idea why slewing is WORSE when buffering?

Well, anyway I seem to be clocking 2 times to fast, 120 khz should be max with 8 samples / sine.

raptorhal2
Lead
Posted on January 02, 2014 at 19:42

Do you have any idea why slewing is WORSE when buffering?

The datasheet gives a settling time with I presume buffer on (based on the spec loading condition) but not with buffer off. With so much going on in the chip, I doubt they dedicate the real estate for high performance buffer amps. Try feeding the buffer off outputs to the plus inputs of external buffer amps.

Cheers, Hal

gullik
Associate II
Posted on January 07, 2014 at 15:35

Thanks for help and hints,

Almost a success. A bit of careful surgery on the board, and I can now generate a reasonable GSM I/Q baseband at 4 samples/bit, and a betterlooking but reduced amplitude at 8 samples/bit. The latter looks like less than 3% distorsion, after the low pass action of the DAC slewing rate, but unfortunately not predictable amplitude. Also, the board generates the BB @ 270.854 Kbit/sec,rather than 270.8333,but I guess that could be adjusted with a trimmer on the crystal. Pretty good for $15.