cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why no export to EmBlocks in STM32Cube ?

ffred
Associate II
Posted on July 05, 2014 at 09:34

Hi,

EMBlocks is a good IDE for STM32, free, easier to use than Eclipse and it already support STM32 use with CMSIS. why no direct export to EmBlocks from STM32Cube..??

could be really a good thing for ST to support a nice free IDE, since ST is not offering any free IDE for their STM32..

why only supporting paid IDE since you made all those nice very low cost Discovery boards, if we can't have access to a good free - or low cost - tool to use them..????

Fred
12 REPLIES 12
Posted on July 05, 2014 at 15:34

The ST stuff is only ''free'' because all the staff overhead is paid for by very large customer purchases, and not makers and hobbiests? All this stuff has some ''cost'', the question really is who gets to pay for it.

One really good suggestion from one of the recent seminars was that the Cube tools generate makefiles for GNU/GCC command line tools.

And my long standing belief that tool chains (IDE) really should do a better job at importing projects from other products, especially seeing as they use an XML/HTML type formatting, and not undocumented binary forms.
Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
ffred
Associate II
Posted on July 07, 2014 at 16:05

thanks, but if they have time to create export tools for the big paid IDE, why don't also find the little time more to at least add the GCC version, as you said. they create the soft, so they can do it easily.

even better, they could have set something standard and document it and then let each IDE editor do the work.

if it's XML as you said, it's probably nearly done, so just need the docs and something established to be sure that everything won't change at each new version.

and since they sold their discovery boards at those low prices, I'm not sure that ST is not interested in hobby makers.

Fred.

fauvarque.daniel
ST Employee
Posted on July 09, 2014 at 18:27

ARM has proposed a format for exchange between code generation tools and IDEs or between third party libraries and IDEs.

The format is PDSC file described in the CMSIS-Pack proposal.

We are currently investigating how STM32CubeMX can integrate in that framework
ffred
Associate II
Posted on July 20, 2014 at 09:03

Hello Daniel,

Sorry for my late rely..

nice, it would be great..!

thanks.

Fred

bjorn2
Associate III
Posted on August 09, 2014 at 09:03

I think that those ''makers and hobbiests'' of now are the ''very large customer purchases'' in the future. To see at ''makers and hobbiests'' in this way is a narrow view. What about all  the educational institutes?

Posted on October 06, 2014 at 23:26

I think that those ''makers and hobbiests'' of now are the ''very large customer purchases'' in the future. To see at ''makers and hobbiests'' in this way is a narrow view. What about all the educational institutes?

What about them? They should focus on teaching, and getting that right. The semiconductor business is a business, it's lately about making things to order and 18-month and shrinking life cycles. The industry is playing the short game, not the long game. Funding something/someone that ''might'' have some payback in the future is not the reality here, the ST dev guys presumably want to be paid today, and that's presumably funded by a few people buying millions of devices, not carrying millions of people buying a few devices. Supporting a large number of people, regardless of how noble they may be, is very expensive and time consuming to the people providing the support. It's also very tiresome doing ''Groundhog Day'' repeating the BLINKY LED and USART app over and over.

If you learn micro-processors properly at school, the MIPS, ARM, SPARC are all much of the same, and you'll likely have to adapt to whatever your employer or customer has chosen, or invested in anyway.

Focusing on STM32 parts is way to narrow to base a career on. Learning a ''monkey presses the button'' code generator is likely to get you replaced by the monkey.
Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
ffred
Associate II
Posted on October 14, 2014 at 08:05

Hi,

we don't need to wait for ST to support a free solution, there will be an EmBlocks export in the next mbed version. (in fact export to an intermediary file format and EmBlocks will have a specific import option).

so an easy beginning option with mbed and a way to go further with EmBlocks.. 🙂

AVI-crak
Senior
Posted on April 23, 2015 at 13:43

clive1

Call customer requests more than 100,000 chips of the same brand. I wish they were dead, I wonder who they are. Free advertising does not hurt them.

I am a repairman equipment and the most modern repaired by st that I have - it STM8Fxxx. Fresh devices, less than one year operation.

Where leave millions of chips ??? a parallel universe?

avtoprerevod with Russian, Google.

AVI-crak
Senior
Posted on April 23, 2015 at 13:47

�?˜�?·�?²�?¸�?½Ñ�ÑŽÑ�ÑŒ, Ñ��?¼Ñ‹Ñ��?» �?²�?µÑ€Ñ…�?½�?µ�?³�?¾ �?¿�?¾Ñ�Ñ‚�?° �?¿�?¾�?»�?½�?¾Ñ�тью �?¸�?·�?¼�?µ�?½�?¸�?»Ñ�Ñ�. �?žÑ�Ñ‚�?°�?²�?»ÑŽ �?º�?¾�?¿�?¸ÑŽ �?½�?° Ñ€�?¾�?´�?½�?¾�?¼ �? ÑƒÑ�Ñ��?º�?¾�?¼.

clive1

�?��?°�?·�?¾�?²�?¸Ñ‚�?µ �?¿�?¾�?ºÑƒ�?¿�?°Ñ‚�?µ�?»�?µ�?¹ Ñ� �?·�?°�?¿Ñ€�?¾Ñ��?°�?¼�?¸ �?±�?¾�?»�?µ�?µ 100.000 ч�?¸�?¿�?¾�?² �?¾�?´�?½�?¾�?¹ �?¼�?°Ñ€�?º�?¸. �?¯ �?½�?µ �?¶�?µ�?»�?°ÑŽ �?¸�?¼ Ñ��?¼�?µÑ€Ñ‚�?¸, �?¼�?½�?µ �?¸�?½Ñ‚�?µÑ€�?µÑ��?½�?¾ �?ºÑ‚�?¾ �?¾�?½�?¸. �?‘�?µÑ��?¿�?»�?°Ñ‚�?½�?°Ñ� Ñ€�?µ�?º�?»�?°�?¼�?° �?¸�?¼ Ñ‚�?¾�?¶�?µ �?½�?µ �?¿�?¾�?¼�?µÑˆ�?°�?µÑ‚.

�?¯ Ñ��?²�?»Ñ�ÑŽÑ�ÑŒ Ñ€�?µ�?¼�?¾�?½Ñ‚�?½�?¸�?º�?¾�?¼ �?°�?¿�?¿�?°Ñ€�?°Ñ‚уры , �?¸ Ñ��?°�?¼�?¾�?µ Ñ��?¾�?²Ñ€�?µ�?¼�?µ�?½�?½�?¾�?µ �?¾Ñ‚ st чт�?¾ Ñ€�?µ�?¼�?¾�?½Ñ‚�?¸Ñ€�?¾�?²�?°�?»�?¾Ñ�ÑŒ у �?¼�?µ�?½Ñ� - Ñ�Ñ‚�?¾ STM8Fxxx. �?¡�?²�?µ�?¶�?¸�?µ �?°�?¿�?¿�?°Ñ€�?°Ñ‚Ñ‹ , �?¼�?µ�?½ÑŒÑˆ�?µ �?³�?¾�?´�?° Ñ€�?°�?±�?¾Ñ‚Ñ‹.

�?šÑƒ�?´�?° ух�?¾�?´Ñ�Ñ‚ �?¼�?¸�?»�?»�?¸�?¾�?½Ñ‹ ч�?¸�?¿�?¾�?² ??? �?² �?¿�?°Ñ€�?°�?»�?µ�?»ÑŒ�?½ÑƒÑŽ �?²Ñ��?µ�?»�?µ�?½�?½ÑƒÑŽ?