Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32L486xx SDMMC peripheral and eMMC memory

GUIRAT.Youssef
Associate III
Posted on December 01, 2016 at 16:37

Hi ,

I'm using STM32L486RG microcontroller and I'm trying  to use the SDMMC IP to interface with EMMC32G-M525-X01U an eMMC memory from Micron with 

32Gb of size.

I found in the reference manual that the SDMMC  peripheral for the STM32L4 MCUs is in full compliance with the MMC v4.2 specification. In other hand, my

eMMC is compliant with the v5.0 of the MMC standard.To more understand the differences between the two versions of the spec, I visited this website (

https://www.datalight.com/solutions/technologies/emmc/emmc-feature-comparison-by-version

)

and I deduced that if I will use the SDMMC peripheral of the STM32L486RG MCU , I will just be able to only do basic operation ( read , write , erase ) advanced 

features like ( boot , dual boot , secure trim , etc ...) will be skipped.

Is this right or wrong ? and what about data rate ? what is the maximum level provided by the SDMMC ?

I really count on your valuable support . I have also wondered if there's an STM32 HAL driver which enable me to interface with this memory.

Thanks in advance.

#stm32l4 #emmc #sdmmc
3 REPLIES 3
Imen.D
ST Employee
Posted on December 07, 2016 at 15:34

Dear Elliot,

To have more insight into SDMMC, you can refer to this 

http://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/training/technical/product_training/0d/2d/cc/55/55/a6/42/12/STM32L4_Peripheral_SDMMC.pdf/files/STM32L4_Peripheral_SDMMC.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.STM32L4_Peripheral_SDMMC.pdf

guide.

Hope this helps you.

Best Regards

-Imen-

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen
Posted on December 15, 2016 at 12:09

Thanks IMEN D for your response!

I want just to ask how the SDMMC peripheral control the voltage of the eMMC.

In the reference manual and the document you have provided to me, we are just talking about CMD1 with required voltage as an argument then we have to receive the OCR response. 

I want to know more about the hardware side . When we talk about voltage range , are we talking about the the voltage range for CMD , CLK and DATA lines of the bus ?

If yes , how can the SDMMC internally adjust the voltage for these lines ?

many thanks in advance

Posted on December 20, 2016 at 18:15

Hello

GUIRAT.Youssef

‌,

The main information can be found in thedatasheet of your product.

So, I recommend to checkyourdatasheet, this may help you to find thecharacteristics about voltage range.

Best Regards

-Imen-

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen