cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USART between PC to STM32f4 discovery

Associate II
Posted on November 27, 2013 at 15:45

I read example in projec example include Lib 1.2.0 . But I can't connect. I open Hyper terminal but no COM from stm32f4. When I connect board stm32f4, it will appear in Universal Serial Bus Controller. How can I connect stm32f4 and PC through COM port

Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3
Posted on November 27, 2013 at 16:59

The USART1 PA9 pin on the STM32F4-Discovery is not usable, to use other USART pins to connect to the PC you will need some level conversion to get from 3V CMOS level to those suitable for RS232 connectivity.

To create a Virtual COM Port, you would need to load a VCP example tailored to the STM32F4-Discovery, load a suitable Windows driver, and connect via the micro USB connector at the other end of the board to the ST-LINK connector.

I've previously ported and posted a VCP example project for the STM32F4-Discovery, both for GNU/GCC and Keil.
Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Associate II
Posted on November 28, 2013 at 16:14

Thank a lot

Andrew Neil
Chief III
Posted on November 29, 2013 at 19:48

''to use other USART pins to connect to the PC you will need some level conversion to get from 3V CMOS level to those suitable for RS232 connectivity''

Or use a USB-to-UART converter that works directly with 3V logic levels; eg, 

http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Cables/USBTTLSerial.htm