Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Undefined symbol error - no compile

david2399
Associate II
Posted on August 22, 2014 at 06:05

Hello,

I load several example projects unmodified into Keil and compile as soon as I enter. When the project enters the linking phase, I get an error that HAL_DMA_Init is an undefined symbol, and the project won't compile.

Is there any reason for this? This happens with UART, I2C, and SPI examples right out of the box before I have a chance to modify.

This is on the STM429I-Discovery\Examples software.

The specific issue is ''not enough information to list image symbols''.

Thanks

David Bassett
2 REPLIES 2
frankmeyer9
Associate II
Posted on August 22, 2014 at 13:07

I load several example projects unmodified into Keil and compile as soon as I enter. When the project enters the linking phase, I get an error that HAL_DMA_Init is an undefined symbol, and the project won't compile.

Perhaps another version of uVision, and less-than-perfect project import.

Adding the corresponding source file to the project should correct this issue.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if more such trouble follows.

david2399
Associate II
Posted on August 23, 2014 at 04:06

Hello,

I have an update here which solved the problem. It appears the issue tracked everything which had DMA in it, and when I diffed my version of  stm32f4xx_hal_dma.c with the original, The WHOLE function definition in the Keil project was gone from the function definition to the end brace.

I figure the odds of inadvertently highlighting and deleting a function right from the definition to the ending brace are like one in a billion, I assume Keil version 5.10 had something to do with this, but I don't know how.

When I replaced the function back into hal_dma.c, things worked fine again.

Dave Bassett