cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set up communication between PC?

ivarbug
Associate
Posted on December 01, 2013 at 20:21

I have an old STM32 Value Line Discovery Kit. Never used since now. I'm looking to set up communication between PC? Is it possible? I googled around and found this and that about people messing around something called Virtual COM. I didn't find anything about it in the examples in stsw-stm32078.zip.

So far I have the IA Embedded Workbench set up and my blinkies compiled and working.
2 REPLIES 2
Posted on December 01, 2013 at 21:12

The Virtual COM port code would be part of the USB library examples. Your problem however would be that the Value Line (VL) STM32F100 part doesn't support USB connectivity.

In terms of PC connectivity you could use one of several USART ports, and use a USB-to-CMOS Serial type adapter

http://www.dlpdesign.com/usb/txrx.shtml

or to RS232 via a MAX3232 type converter.
Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
ivarbug
Associate
Posted on December 01, 2013 at 21:33

Thanks. Yeah, I was afraid that that would be the case. I managed to find the USB stuff, compile & run meanwhile. I got the COM led blinking and software reset message from the debugger. Don't know what that means though :D

But thats too bad. I don't have ''noob stock'' available to build/get anything quickly. I was hoping to use the ARM as a middleman between my PC and and a FPGA chip because of the serial port's harsh voltage levels.