Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem in creating waveforms with the help of timer

sanjib
Associate III
Posted on April 29, 2014 at 11:44

Hi All

The waveform.png file I have attached to show what i have to do. I have to generate similar kind of waveform with using one timer . The timer clock is 168 MHz...... One waveform will be 2 clock on and 4 clock off again 2 clock on , 4 clock off so on for 5 micro sec like wise the other one bur in the opposite way . there should be 1 clock cycles delay between waveform 1 falling edge and waveform 2 rising edge and vice versa.

Is this possible to do .. if yes can any body guide me how to achieve this

7 REPLIES 7
sanjib
Associate III
Posted on April 29, 2014 at 11:59

Sorry Please find the attachment to see the waveform. I have attached the waveform

Attachments :

waveform.png : https://st--c.eu10.content.force.com/sfc/dist/version/download/?oid=00Db0000000YtG6&ids=0680X000006Hzst&d=%2Fa%2F0X0000000bR0%2F5Ji2bnTMJR_hX542tr0oGe8LOwfRYFp2H7TAEIrNLUI&asPdf=false
chen
Associate II
Posted on April 29, 2014 at 13:47

Hi

''Is this possible to do .. if yes can any body guide me how to achieve this''

Yes.

Since you want 2 different waveforms - you will need 2 timers.

You can slave 1 timer to another, the slave will start synchronously with the first.

The waveform you want is not square - so you cannot use simple timer (toggling IO will give a square wave).

Instead, you will have to use PWM mode, this will involve a CCMRx register for each timer.

The ARR reg controls the period of the PWM.

The CCMR reg cotnrols the pulse width.

sanjib
Associate III
Posted on April 29, 2014 at 14:32

Sorry it is not 2 clocks it is 280 clocks  and 1 clocks is 140 clocks and 4 clocks is 420 ....Do you have any example for that

sanjib
Associate III
Posted on April 29, 2014 at 14:34

but I should use 2 different channels of 1 timer not 2 timer is that possible

chen
Associate II
Posted on April 29, 2014 at 17:29

''Do I have any examples''

No.

Search the STM32 forum. Clive1 has provided PWM examples.

I think it is a simple case of copying the same code for 2nd timer and then slaving it to the first (I have not done it myself).

''should use 2 different channels of 1 timer not 2 timer is that possible''

No.

2 Timers and 2 channels. The timers provide the count. The channels provide the capture/compare register (CCMRx).

sanjib
Associate III
Posted on April 30, 2014 at 07:28

but how it is possible to get a delay of 140 clocks between those waves , when will start synchronously

chen
Associate II
Posted on April 30, 2014 at 11:27

Hi

Basic Timer operation.

Timer is just a counter.

Timer has various clocking schemes - clocking mean incrementing/decrementing count CNT - counting frequency.

Timer has register to count up to, then will reset (back to 0) - ARR -known as period.

Timer can be connected to IO pin (do not have to use ISR to toggle IO pin - done automatically)

This is basic mode.

Timer has more advanced modes - 1 of them is PWM output.

PWM uses 'channel' - uses the CCMRx register

The CCMRx register controls Duty Cycle - ratio of on/off

eg

ARR = 100

CCMR = 50

50 % Duty cycle

ARR = 100

CCMR = 25

25 % on, 75% off

Timer Advanced mode - can link (slave) one timer to another.

All slave timers will be reset (CNT = 0) by master timer