cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JTAG Boundry scanning

sanjib
Associate III
Posted on October 31, 2014 at 13:34

Hi:  I have never used JTAG but I understand it has a boundary scan feature that allows testing all the pins for shorts and opens.

Also it is possible to JTAG test more than one part by 'daisy chaining' JTAG from one part to the next.  So we should be able to connect F407, F030, and BF592 together and write some JTAG code to test every new board for shorts, etc.

I need a basic procedure to do it please help me how to approach

Does anyone have experience doing that?

4 REPLIES 4
Posted on October 31, 2014 at 16:02

Also it is possible to JTAG test more than one part by 'daisy chaining' JTAG from one part to the next.

Yes, well that would be the point, the vector just increases in length. I'd guess you'd want to review available boundary scanning software, and board analysis applications, which can combine the vectors, and evaluate the external connectivity via netlists exported from your design tools.
Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
sanjib
Associate III
Posted on November 03, 2014 at 05:48

Than for the reply . What is the procedure of doing that... I mean How to start ? Can you help me to understand from basic .........the procedure from basic which help the beginners to understand very easily

ivani
Associate II
Posted on November 03, 2014 at 12:52

Well, I think there are no many (if any) experts on boundary scan here in forum, although many of us understand its basis. It is a bit different view on the chips.

But you could google about ''boundary scan'' and you will find a lot of data about it.
Posted on November 03, 2014 at 14:54

Take a class in Design for Manufacture, and become familiar with the CAD tools you are using.

The in-house processes we have here generate board level net lists, and use those and part BSDL files, to determine testable nodes and connectivity on the board, and then generate test vectors.

Perhaps you can engage some consultants to walk you through the process, but I assume you have no budget for tools or training.

http://www.corelis.com/education/JTAG_Tutorial.htm

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..