cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CubeMX on MacOS using far too much RAM

Posted on May 29, 2017 at 22:20

CubeMX V4.21.0 on MacOS 10.12.5.

4.21.0 was available, so I downloaded it. Opened my current project, checked to see if my pet peeves had been fixed yet - nope. Went for lunch.

Came back from lunch and Cube has 3.7GB of RAM locked down.

If I click between the various tabs, the memory goes up in 20MB increments. Now up to 3.89G.

Simply move the cursor around on the screen, you don't need to click on anything, and it goes up in 100MB increments. Now up to 4.94GB.

Just as a point of reference, Eclipse, with a large project open, in the debugger, using OpenOCD, since mid last week 428MB.

Andrei from The Great White North

(as seen on the Embedded.FM podcast and blog)

#cubemx-ram
2 REPLIES 2
Lead
Posted on May 30, 2017 at 07:41

I can't claim more than superficial knowledge of the MacOS, but I'm pretty sure there are system tools to check where the memory goes. Java itself is often very 'helpful' in wasting memory...

Jeanne Joly
Senior III
Posted on January 19, 2018 at 15:59

hi

Chichak.Andrei

I make a try and what I observe is as follow :

MAC Os doesn't handle his memory as Windows. MAC OS frees the memory only when he needs it in order to obtain good performances. Consequently, on Mac OS, it is normal to see the RAM size increases again and again.

If 2GB of RAM is quickly use;it will be the same for 4GB or 8GB of RAM. As long as there is memory, the system continues to use the memory without freeing it.

So, in my case, I see on the activity monitor that after creating a project under CubeMX and activating/configuring some IPS etc, the memory used is 1.8GB.

However, I can't observe the memory size increase when you move the mouse between different tabs.

For your information, all my observations are done on a mac book pro retina (version 6) and CubeMX-4.

I hope it will help you.

BR. Jeanne