cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CubeMX 4.22.0 Memory Leak

Posted on July 13, 2017 at 22:51

Like it's predecessor, CubeMX (see? I got the name more like correct) has a memory leak.

On the latest MacOS, possibly Windows, I don't know, as you use CubeMX it consumes more and more memory. With every cursor movement and tab switch, gobble gobble.

I'm not talking bytes, or Ks. It uses many gigabytes of RAM. 

Andrei

3 REPLIES 3
Posted on October 25, 2017 at 21:24

I started working with version 4.23.0 yesterday and noticed that, even though CubeMX uses a lot of memory, the amount does not increase anymore.

Well done ST.

Andrei

Jeanne Joly
Senior III
Posted on January 30, 2018 at 10:03

Hi Andrei Chichak,

I already answered to one of your post regarding the same topic (

https://community.st.com/0D50X00009XkhjYSAR

).

Do you still have some questions on that topic?

BR. Jeanne

Posted on January 30, 2018 at 10:14

Maybe the answer given there was a bit weak.

MacOS roughly follows the same strategy as Unix/Linux - use as much real memory as possible for running tasks.

A clean-up happens only on low-memory situations.

Eventually, Unix/Linux even starts to shoot down applications 'randomly' to free memory. Not sure if MacOS does this as well.

And second, Java (Cube is IMHO written in Java) utilizes a runtime garbage collector mechanism, because memory is managed by this runtime system, not the language/application (like C/C++).

This garbage collector tries to free abandoned memory (not used anymore, but not yet returned to the OS), either event triggered or time triggered.

As comparision, watch the memory usage of Eclipse-based tools or the NetBeans IDE over time ...