cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For ST: Reported HAL version versus Cube releases

Posted on February 12, 2016 at 02:21

Hi,

I noticed that the F4 release 1.11.0 code package uses a HAL Driver version number of V1.4.4. 

Is this intentional, and if so, is there a way to pull out the 1.11.0 number from some define?

Andrei from The Great White North

#version-hal
4 REPLIES 4
Nesrine M_O
Lead II
Posted on February 16, 2016 at 18:20

Hi Andrei,

Unfortunately there is no define for firmware Package release version, there is only define for HAL Driver version number in the file stm32f4xx_hal.c

So could you please specify why do you need to have such information?

-Syrine-

Posted on February 16, 2016 at 23:36

Simply for version discovery. The #define value is printed out at boot time on my device.

Given a device of unknown age, I can determine which version of the HAL it was compiled against, that could tell me about the portion of the code that I did not write.

If the device says that it is using HAL version 1.4.4, it would be nice to know what version of the firmware that represents. 

For example, version FW F4 1.9.0 was HAL version 1.4.1, and FW F4 1.11.0 was HAL version 1.4.4.

Is the only mapping between the HAL version and the FW version in the release notes?

Does the HAL version always get changed in a new FW distribution?

Thanks,

Andrei

Nesrine M_O
Lead II
Posted on February 17, 2016 at 10:05

Hi Andrei,

I understand now your need, and I will raise it to our team for check.

Regarding your second question each time there is an update in the HAL drivers, new version has to be delivered. Referring to the release note, we can see that the HAL version always get changed in a new FW distribution. 

-Syrine-

Nesrine M_O
Lead II
Posted on February 17, 2016 at 10:25

Hi Andrei,

For more details about your questions:

1/ Is the only mapping between the HAL version and the FW version in the release notes?

Yes.

The FW package release notes lists the different components used and their version. It keep track also about all previous FW package version w/ their associated components and version, ex:

V1.11.0 / 29-January-2016 - STM32F4xx HAL V1.4.4

V1.10.1 / 11-December-201 - STM32F4xx HAL V1.4.3

V1.10.0 / 13-November-2015 - STM32F4xx HAL V1.4.2

V1.9.0 / 09-October-2015 - STM32F4xx HAL V1.4.1

2/Does the HAL version always get changed in a new FW distribution?

Not systematically, depending on the FW package release category

• Release to support new STM32 devices: in such case the HAL is updated and its version incremented

• Maintenance release: in some cases the HAL is not updated, if for example the release purpose is intended to add new examples, new middleware …

-Syrine-