cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CubeMX Mac?

Posted on February 26, 2016 at 02:46

So eagle eye'd son pointed out that the publicity picture for CubeMX shows its logo sprawled across the face of Apple's MacBook Pro. And yet there are logos for Windows and Linux next to it.

So, when is CubeMX going to be supported on MacOS? It works really well, except for getting updates.

Thanks,

Andrei from The Great White North.

#cubemx-macos
4 REPLIES 4
carmine
Associate II
Posted on February 26, 2016 at 10:29

CubeMX still non officially supports Mac, but it works almost out of the box with a trick:

http://www.carminenoviello.com/2015/09/09/running-stm32cubemx-macos-finally/

matic
Associate III
Posted on February 26, 2016 at 13:16

I would like to ask, how do you program STM32 MCUs on a Mac. Because I also have a Mac at home, but don't really know what are the options. Do I have to install Windows using Boot Camp or with Virtual Machine like Parallels?

Posted on February 26, 2016 at 15:53

I run a weekly session at the local maker space that I call Embedded Wednesdays. My students use a wild mix of Linux, MacOS, and all of the various Windows versions.

Our tool chain comes from openstm32.org, and it consists of Eclipse, gcc, and openOCD. 

Much like CubeMX, the installers don't support MacOS, but there are instructions on the openstm32 website that give you a fully functional tool set. Plus, you have xcode available with all of the tools that are a part of the UN*X environment.

I'd only suggest installing a VM and Windows if there is a particular program that you have to use. The dev environment on Mac or Linux - well - it actually exists. Microsoft stripped Windows long ago.

There is a new blog, hosted by the embedded.fm podcast, that just started last week. (I even mention Carmine's method of getting CubeMX running.)   Take a look, we are at embedded.fm/blog.

Andrei from The Great White North
carmine
Associate II
Posted on February 26, 2016 at 16:31

Using the

http://gnuarmeclipse.github.io/

it's perfectly possible to develop STM32 apps on Win, Mac and Linux. I use MacOS to develop firmwares on STM32 board I develop.