cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debugger stuck at Hardware fault

mayank
Associate II
Posted on January 08, 2014 at 03:33

We just bought ST-Link to debug our software. Everything works great with Atollic and Seger J-Link with ST32F407 chip.

But when we switch to ST-Link, we can flash the chip, but when start the debugger (in JTAG mode), it stops everytime SVC call is made to switch context with Hardware_Fault.

Any ideas?

I have tried copying startup script for J-Link into ST-Link and that doesn't help.

Thanks in advance0690X00000602qNQAQ.jpg

0690X00000602qSQAQ.jpg

0690X00000602qXQAQ.jpg

0690X00000602qYQAQ.jpg

#st-link-atollic-seger-gdb
8 REPLIES 8
chen
Associate II
Posted on January 08, 2014 at 10:33

Hi

You are not really suppose to change debugger on the tool chain.

Have you tried clean and rebuild?

Atollic is an awful toolchain. I suspect is sets lots of internal variables when the project is first set up (including the debugger - hence my comment about not changing debugger).

Eclipse (Atollic is built on top of Eclipse) is constantly doing 'stuff' in the background- I hate it. I hate it. I HATE IT!

Posted on January 08, 2014 at 13:33

If the J-Link works why are you fighting the ST-Link? The Segger pod is a far better commercial solution. Make sure you have the most current firmware and drivers for the ST-Link.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
mayank
Associate II
Posted on January 08, 2014 at 18:40

Thanks guys. The reason I am changing to ST_Link cuz it's cheap 🙂 My preference is to stay with Segger but company wants me to evaluate a cheaper debugger.

chen
Associate II
Posted on January 08, 2014 at 18:47

Hi

Yes, I gussed you would be looking because it is cheap.

The only think I can suggest is to create a new project with the ST-Link as the debugger. This should create the correct settings for the project from the start.

(Just shows what a pile of sh*t Atollic is)

I use Atollic and St-Link here where I work. Did I mention I HATE IT!

(I used IAR and J-Link at my previous company - much better!)

mayank
Associate II
Posted on January 08, 2014 at 18:50

Yes, I do have latest firmware. When I step through using Segger, I see the handler for Hardware fault.

But when I try the same on ST-Link, it says no such file or directory.

0690X00000602qcQAA.jpg

mayank
Associate II
Posted on January 08, 2014 at 18:52

🙂 ok will give it a shot.

chen
Associate II
Posted on January 08, 2014 at 19:01

Hi

'' When I step through using Segger, I see the handler for Hardware fault.

But when I try the same on ST-Link, it says no such file or directory.''

Definitely Atollic getting it's internal nicker in a twist then.

What a pile of kack!

The new project trick should work in that case.

I have never tried to change debugger in IAR before BUT IAR does

have a nasty habit of switch to simulator every now and again.

Had no problems switching between a J-Link and J-Trace but that is because they are almost identical.

Posted on January 08, 2014 at 19:45

Not a big fan of Atollic here either, bloody Eclipse..

Though last time I priced it, it was still quite expensive. Thought about Rowley? For that matter Eclipse CDT and GNU/GCC (Yagarto) are free and easy enough to integrate.

Keil has something at the $2500-2600 range for Cortex parts these days as I recall.

eBay often has used and bootleg J-Links
Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..