cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LCD-TFT Controller vs. LCD Parallel Interface - STM32F429

dnorwood80
Associate II
Posted on April 15, 2014 at 16:02

I have a display that does not include HSYNC or VSYNC, only a pixel clock.  It is my understanding that I can only use the FMC interface (the old FSMC) and not the LCD TFT embedded controller (I have a STM32F429).  Is this correct?  I just started investigating this, but any pointers in the meantime are greatly appreciated.  I'd like to use the LCD TFT embedded controller with the display I already have instead of looking at a new display.   

#lcd #stm32
3 REPLIES 3
Posted on April 15, 2014 at 17:32

So is it a dumb panel without a controller, or not? If it has it's own frame buffer, or just needs data looping via DMA, the the TFT Controller doesn't seem to be appropriate.

Perhaps you could cite the documentation for the panel in question, might get you better answers.
Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
dnorwood80
Associate II
Posted on April 15, 2014 at 19:07

Here is the display in question (which I have):

http://www.azdisplays.com/PDF/ATM0430D12-T.pdf

So the question is, how (if) to drive this display with the LCD-TFT embedded controller?  Or, save the headache and get a more compatible display, like the one on the eval board.   

Posted on April 15, 2014 at 19:44

Yes, the question would be if you can actually generate this DE (Display Enable) signal, instead of the Horizontal/Vertical signalling more classically used.

The purpose of the TFT controller, and painting the screen from an SDRAM frame buffer, is to reduce the cost of the panel. The controller is designed to use the most generic displays (high volume, high availability).

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..