Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Develop new Firmware on STEVAL IPP002V1

id
Associate
Posted on January 23, 2014 at 12:00

Good afternoon,

Have anyone tried to work with STEVAL-IPP002V1? Can we develop new firmware? What is the development tool that we can use? Or does that product can only be used for evaluation of ST products only?

Thank you in advance.

#steval-ipp-002v1 #steval-ipp002v1
5 REPLIES 5
chen
Associate II
Posted on January 23, 2014 at 12:24

Hi

''Have anyone tried to work with STEVAL-IPP002V1? ''

Sorry, I have not.

''Can we develop new firmware?

Yes, you can.

''What is the development tool that we can use?''

Any tool chain that supports the STM32 processor on that board

Try IAR, Keil, Greenhills, Atollic (some commercial packages.IDEs )

''Or does that product can only be used for evaluation of ST products only?''

All development boards are designed and marketed for evaluation purposes. Often they give the design (in the documentation) so that end users can adapt the design for their own needs. Their goal is to sell ST silicon devices - as many as they can!

id
Associate
Posted on January 24, 2014 at 11:03

Thank you for your answers, sung.chen_chung.

But, I want to know about the term ''Demo board only for evaluation purpose'' that is written in STEVAL-IPP002V1 product. Does it mean that we can only test software provided by ST, and cannot further modify its firmware?

chen
Associate II
Posted on January 24, 2014 at 11:42

Hi

''But, I want to know about the term ''Demo board only for evaluation purpose'' that is written in STEVAL-IPP002V1 product. Does it mean that we can only test software provided by ST, and cannot further modify its firmware?''

Ultimately, what you can do with the software/firmware is down to the license agreement that the software has been released under - Please read and understand it!

''Does it mean that we can only test software provided by ST, and cannot further modify its firmware?''

Usually

, you are free to modify the code as much as you like. Any problems (including damage) is your own problem. Again, subject to the license.

Posted on January 24, 2014 at 12:24

''Demo board only for evaluation purpose'' 

Translation : You cannot use THIS board design for a COMMERCIAL design.

Legal: If you use this board and it burns down your house, or your factory, or those of your customers, that's YOUR problem, NOT OURS.

So you can't take the GERBERS and BOM and then manufacturer and sell them by the thousands.

Why? Because the design is to illustrate the FUNCTION of the product, not meet your requirements, or legal, safety, or regulatory requirements of a product to be sold to an end-user, public utility, whatever.

You can modify the board and software, and in fact design your OWN solution to replace it, and then thoroughly test and certify that solution.

Disclaimer : I don't work for ST, I'm not providing legal advice, my opinions are my own.
Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
trevor23
Associate III
Posted on January 24, 2014 at 12:53

What Clive said. This is common for demo boards in general in that they are not intended to be used directly for end products or copied and mass produced. They are intended to aid development/learning.