cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Time User

jprevard
Associate II
Posted on February 04, 2014 at 05:54

I am using a STM32F303 Discovery board and am not really sure where to start. I am attempting to use EWARM and ST-Link Utility together. Never having downloaded code to anything more complex than Arduino, etc., I am a little lost.

To simplify this post allow me to just list a few q's and comments:

ST-Link Utility: ''No Target Connected'' (nothing ST related in device mgr)

Can EWARM ''Program'' code to my board? (assuming ''no'' but still not sure)

LD2 blinks ON/OFF during pre-loaded demo prgm (never did this before)

EWARM is my toolchain, what does that mean? (i.e. what is a toolchain exactly?)

I feel like I should use EWARM to create projects and ST-Link Utility to ''Program'' the board. Do I understand the general procedure correctly?

Sorry to be the newb

Thanks in advance

See Attachment

15 REPLIES 15
chen
Associate II
Posted on February 04, 2014 at 10:04

Hi

Welcome to the world of ST/ARM embedded programming.

''

ST-Link Utility: ''No Target Connected'' (nothing ST related in device mgr)

''

Means there is no connection with the target processor - will not be able to program or debug unless this is rectified. Note : ST-Link Util is only used to program - it cannot debug.

''

Can EWARM ''Program'' code to my board? (assuming ''no'' but still not sure)''

Yes it can. The project settings need to select the correct processor and the right debugger (ST-Link in your case) and the right programming script.

''

EWARM is my toolchain, what does that mean? (i.e. what is a toolchain exactly?)

''

This means it is your editor, compiler, linker, downloader/programmer and debugger.

You do not need to use it to do all these things, you can use other tools.

Note - it is not possible to debug a program loaded by some other tool, only EWARM loaded binaries can be debugged by EWARM.

''

I feel like I should use EWARM to create projects and ST-Link Utility to ''Program'' the board. Do I understand the general procedure correctly?

''

No IAR EWARM (or Embedded Workbench - just call it workbench) will do it all for you if the project is set up correctly.

The idea is to create a project for each program you want to write/try out.

You can then load up different projects.

jprevard
Associate II
Posted on February 04, 2014 at 20:55

Excellent

Thank you for quick and detailed response. I can maybe get something coded if I can get the board to be recognized by the computer. Any idea why it is not seen by Windows?

The board was initially plugged into computer and ran demo program fine but was not seen by Windows 7; now it flashes LD2 and is still not seen (demo prog seems to run fine otherwise). I will try other ports but am not sure what to do beyond that. Are there drivers somewhere?

Thx

Edit: Posting from my Galaxy Note 3 is not working correctly. Sorry for repeated posts.
Posted on February 05, 2014 at 03:52

Are there drivers somewhere?

http://www.st.com/web/en/catalog/tools/PF258167

I've never had any joy posting from Android devices with the Word(tm) in a box interface for Microsoft Share Point forums.
Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
jprevard
Associate II
Posted on February 05, 2014 at 07:08

Thank you for the replies.

The STLinkDriver would not install. Error: ''The installed version of the application could not be determined. The setup will now terminate.'' (See Attached) Which application is it referring to?

Things I've tried:

Different USB ports

Uninstalling/Reinstalling STM32 ST-LINK Utility

Thank you

Edit: Forgot attachment 🙂

Attachments :

ST_USB_Driver.jpg : https://st--c.eu10.content.force.com/sfc/dist/version/download/?oid=00Db0000000YtG6&ids=0680X000006I1Ez&d=%2Fa%2F0X0000000bk6%2Fm35p0brSyqyHfdyAuT_8kqSh5u.9UzVeQ1DqNtelNqI&asPdf=false
chen
Associate II
Posted on February 05, 2014 at 10:41

Hi

''

I can maybe get something coded if I can get the board to be recognized by the computer. Any idea why it is not seen by Windows?

''

There are 2 USB ports on the STM32F3 discovery board (if I remember correctly). One is for STLink and the other is for USB peripheral implementation. Make sure you have the correct port plugged in to us STLink.

''The STLinkDriver would not install. Error: ''The installed version of the application could not be determined. The setup will now terminate.'' (See Attached) Which application is it referring to?

Things I've tried:

Different USB ports

Uninstalling/Reinstalling STM32 ST-LINK Utility''

Unfortuneately, Windows remembers driver installed to individual USB ports. You will have to delete the .dll or .drv (or what ever it is now a days) associated with the ST-Link in \system32 directory.

jprevard
Associate II
Posted on February 06, 2014 at 07:35

hmm...

Thank you for the replies, but I am still really stuck. I do not see any driver files related to ST in my \System32 directory and am even more concerned that the STM32F303 Discovery board is not seen by Windows (in Device Manager). Since it is not there I cannot even try to update the driver through the Control Panel.

I am using the USB ST-LINK port on the demo board.

Also still wondering about the blinking LD2. Is this demo code accessible somehow or available on the internet where this might be diagnosable?

Thanks again! I am looking forward to getting this working soon.

chen
Associate II
Posted on February 06, 2014 at 10:15

Hi Justin

Easy one first :

''Also still wondering about the blinking LD2. Is this demo code accessible somehow or available on the internet where this might be diagnosable?''

Look at this page :

http://www.st.com/st-web-ui/active/en/catalog/tools/PF254044

If it is the one you have - look at the section ''Related Tools and Software''

The link should take you to another page where you can download the source code and project files for IAR, Keil and Atollic.

'' I do not see any driver files related to ST in my \System32 directory and am even more concerned that the STM32F303 Discovery board is not seen by Windows (in Device Manager). Since it is not there I cannot even try to update the driver through the Control Panel.''

Open control panel and open 'Device Manager' (it depend on which version of Windows you are running).

The ST-Link should appear under ''Universal Serial Bus Controllers'' as ''STMicroelectronics STLink dongle''

If it is no installed correctly - it should just be ''unknown device'' either under the USB controllers or under one of the other 'devices'.

If you select one of the devices, open it and select the ''Driver'' tab.

On the driver tab, there should be one button labelled  ''Driver Details'' - click on it and it should tell you the driver filename and which directory it is in.

(Now - you may need your Windows install disk)

A. You can choose to ''Update Driver'' and select anything you like. Restart Windows and it should detect the driver you selected in incorrect for the device and try to re-install the correct driver.   OR

B. You can choose to un-install the driver and delete the driver file from the hard disk. Restart Windows and it will detect and try to install the correct driver.

jprevard
Associate II
Posted on February 07, 2014 at 05:34

I have plugged in the board to each of my USB ports while monitoring the Device Manager and cannot see it appear anywhere.

chen
Associate II
Posted on February 07, 2014 at 10:54

Hi

''I have plugged in the board to each of my USB ports while monitoring the Device Manager and cannot see it appear anywhere.''

That is a problem!

You see nothing? Not even unrecognized device?

Does Device Manager recognise that something has changed when you plug in the Discovery board via STLink/USB?