Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

transceiver max2830 with ST microcontroller

thebest-dz
Associate II
Posted on February 05, 2014 at 16:18

Hello everyone,

I have looked for the answer on the internet but I have found no answer so far.

Would you know if it is possible to command a transceiver MAX2830 with the STM32f429 ?

http://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/MAX2830.pdf

This transceiver is configured with SPI but has Rx/Tx communication mode.

Thank you for your help.

#max2830-transceiver-rx-tx #stm32f429-max2830
7 REPLIES 7
Posted on February 05, 2014 at 16:27

I'd say no. Looks to be an RF front end, you'd still need a base-band processor to do anything useful with it. Look at WiFi modules if you need such.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
thebest-dz
Associate II
Posted on February 05, 2014 at 16:38

Thank you for your answer.

Could you be more specific please?

What should be used between the ST µC and the MAX2830 to make it work ?

How could a Wifi module be useful?

Thanks very much !

chen
Associate II
Posted on February 05, 2014 at 16:43

Hi

''Would you know if it is possible to command a transceiver MAX2830 with the STM32f429 ?''

Yes, the STM32F can configure the MAX2830 via SPI.

You have the data sheet, so you have an idea of the registers in the MAX2380.

''This transceiver is configured with SPI but has Rx/Tx communication mode.''

So, I guess you are asking - how do I use the MAX2380 as a WLAN transciever?

AND

Can I have the STM32 send/recieve over the WLAN?

Do you have the Radio Frequency circuit designed and built?

If not - do you know how to design and build RF transmitter and receiver circuits?

The MAX 2380 is a device that is meant to help reduce the design burden and component count. It is NOT a all in one chip that sends and receives RF.

It is NOT possible to just 'use' the MAX2380 as a simple RF transmitter/receiver. More support circuitry is needed.

RF circuits are not easy or trivial - unless you are expert in RF (or extremely clever and pick these things up quickly) - forget about it.

chen
Associate II
Posted on February 05, 2014 at 16:48

Hi

(Clive got in before I finished!)

''What should be used between the ST µC and the MAX2830 to make it work ?''

Nothing. The STM32 will directly interface to the MAX2830.

What you need is the RF transmitter and receiver AFTER the MAX2830.

''How could a Wifi module be useful?''

WLAN = Wireless Local Area Network.

WIFI = WLAN

See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wifi

Posted on February 05, 2014 at 16:56

How could a Wifi module be useful?

What are you trying to do? Interface to a WiFi network? How do you think that might help you achieve that?

Could you be more specific please? 

Not without a clear understanding of what the goal is. All you're asking is can I use this chip, with no foundation about how/why you think it's appropriate.

What should be used between the ST µC and the MAX2830 to make it work?

To do anything useful with it you need to attach it to some base-band processor capable of handling WiFi signalling, ie a RF Modem chip. What do other people using the MAX2830 attach it too?
Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
thebest-dz
Associate II
Posted on February 06, 2014 at 11:38

Hello,

Thank you very much for your quick and accurate answers. I notice that ST has a very dynamic community.

As you have noticed, I'm novice in RF field (and ST µCs also...)

I'm an engineering student in last year working on a project proposed by a company.

The main objective is to send video data (using MAX2830 transceiver) from a video camera on a vehicle (embedded system) to another transceiver 2830. The two MAX2830 should be commanded by two µCs STM32f429.

The reason why I asked my question is what I read on a forum :

http://www.edaboard.com/thread243281.html

(it's short only a few messages). Someone says: « Unfortunately MAX2830 is not designed to work with microcontrollers. MAX2830 SPI interface is used for configuration (Gain, Filters...). Data path (Tx and RX) has different interface and require more complex analog signals on that interfaces. A microcontroller is not able to process such data. »   My teachers can help me realise the RF circuit and the Evaluation Kit of the MAX2830 gives good information about how to do it. We will receive the evaluation kit soon.   I was only afraid it's NOT possible AT ALL to use the MAX2830 with the STM32 in an embedded system because it would be impossible to generate some signals. But now I think there is no problem if we use the right components. So I can go on and learn how to use the evaluation kit and  then try to interface it with the ST µC...    Thank you very much

Posted on February 06, 2014 at 23:15

Ok, so you're trying to use to transmit/receive a non-WiFi signal at 2.4 GHz. The SPI interface should allow the STM32, or other micro-controller, to configure the device. ie set frequencies, gain settings, etc.

How to modulate/demodulate signals coming out of the device is a whole other matter.