Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM3240G-EVAL - Demonstration Builder

ssmail
Associate II
Posted on February 07, 2014 at 21:34

I have a STM3240G-EVAL:

Evaluation board for STM32F407 line - with STM32F407IG MCU.

I am trying to decide on an RTOS, toolchain, libraries, … for a new project where we selected an STM32F4 as the processor.

I found the following two documents interesting:

*  UM1549 - User manual STM32 Demonstration Builder

*  UM1550 - User manual STM32 Demonstration Builder developer guide

This package seems to support all the peripherals and modules I need: Ethernet, USB, Preemptive RTOS, File System, …

I was thinking that finding a development solution  (RTOS, toolchain, libraries, …) was going to be difficult, but now it seems that ST may be making my life easy.

UM1550 excerpt:

The STM32 Demonstration Builder platform is a completely new way to deliver a

demonstration that can also be fully or partly reused in real applications.

My Questions:

* Does anyone else have experience with this approach (of ‘porting’ the Demonstration Builder to a real product)?

* What are the disadvantages of this approach?

* Are there licensing costs, or requirements (like code-sharing) that are associated with this solution?
2 REPLIES 2
Posted on February 08, 2014 at 01:32

Most of the components are used in other examples (Ethernet, LwIP, SDIO, FatFs, etc)

Not sure I'd use these demos as a basis for a commercial product, they are designed to demonstrate functionality, rather than be particularly robust.

Regardless of how you license MPEG video and audio software, you will still have to pay licensing fees to MPEG LA if you sell a product containing their technology. Other technologies may also have patent/licensing exposure.
Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
ssmail
Associate II
Posted on February 08, 2014 at 23:54

Thanks for the response clive1.

After reading your response:

''use these demos as a basis for a commercial product, they are designed to demonstrate functionality''

... I did some more research.

When I first skimmed over the 'STM32 Demonstration Builder' description I thought it provided a free development environment (IDE, toolchain,...) that I could leverage in a commercial product. I think I was mistaken now.

Please correct me if I'm wrong:

It's not that commercial projects are not based on these components … :

* STM32F2xx Standard Peripherals Library

* STM32 USB USB On-The-Go Host and Device Library

* FreeRTOS

* FatFS file system

* LwIP TCP/IP stack

... it's that to uses these I'd still have to go out and set up my own IDE, toolchain, debugging tools, etc.

Questions:

1) Is this making sense, or am I still missing something?

2) And if were to use the above components in my product could I do so for free, and without having to share my source code?