Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MicroXplorer v3.2 - GPIO Alternate Function Configuration

dmirsky
Associate II
Posted on February 08, 2014 at 19:16

Looking at the tutorial for MicroXplorer (

http://www.st.com/st-web-ui/static/active/en/resource/technical/document/user_manual/DM00063255.pdf

) page 32 figure 38 shows the GPIO configuration for USART pins. In the figure, the USART pins are set to either Input or Output GPIO pins. I was under the impression that they should be set to alternate function mode, ''For other peripherals: Configure the desired I/O as an alternate function in the GPIOx_MODER register'' (RM0090, Doc ID 018909 Rev 5, page 269).

In MicroXplorer and in software, should USART and other peripheral pins be configured as Input/Ouput or as Alternate Function?

Also, why does MicroXplorer not configure them as Alternate Function by default (assuming that is the correct configuration)?

On a side-note, are there any estimates of when a new release of MicroXplorer (with peripheral configuration) will be released?

#microxplorer
2 REPLIES 2
Posted on February 08, 2014 at 20:54

Depends on the STM32 series in question, the F1 you had to configure the pins differently.

With the F4 generally you'd want the pins configured in AF mode, you still get to choose PP/OD type drivers, but the peripheral gets to control the input/output/hi-z state of the pin.

MicroXplorer needs an update, but then plenty of us have fit designs manually, or used Excel sheets prior to it's existence.
Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
dmirsky
Associate II
Posted on February 08, 2014 at 22:26

Makes sense, I appreciate the help.

I agree, doing it without MicroXplorer isn't a problem, but it seems like a very nice tool.