Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F103ZE Flash interface

allenpoper
Associate II
Posted on February 28, 2014 at 12:15

Hello,

I am plan make custom board with STM32F103ZE chip. My question is, what is the interface for flashing the program in to flash?is it USART(UART)? or JTAG?
10 REPLIES 10
chen
Associate II
Posted on February 28, 2014 at 12:22

Hi

You have 2 options :

SWD

Boot0

SWD = Single Wire Debug.

This is what the ST-Link debugger uses. Search this forum. There have been many people who have asked which pins need to be implemented and if pull up/down are needed.

(I do not think any of the STM32 part support the full JTAG specifications)

Most JTag debuggers do support SWD

Boot0 - This is built in programmer, also referred to as DFU.

Check your reference manual or application notes for your specific part for detailed info.

For most STM32 devices (Im talking generally here but some info may not apply to your part!) this allows programming through : USB, USART, I2C, SPI - maybe more.

allenpoper
Associate II
Posted on February 28, 2014 at 12:30

Thanks chen, I didn't get your first point. Any i have seen in the data sheet that ''The boot loader is located in system memory. It is used to reprogram the Flash memory by

using USART1''. Which indicates USART is used for flash programming. Please can you guide me in this.

chen
Associate II
Posted on February 28, 2014 at 12:43

''Any i have seen in the data sheet that ''The boot loader is located in system memory.''

Yes. STMicro have embedded a fixed loader program into the STM32 series.

''Please can you guide me in this.''

Please read the following :

http://www.st.com/web/en/resource/technical/document/application_note/CD00167594.pdf

allenpoper
Associate II
Posted on February 28, 2014 at 14:14

I am confused after reading that document. My question is i have compiled a program and i want download hex file/exe file in to STM32F103xx. Which interface you will use to download in to flash memory

Posted on February 28, 2014 at 14:21

Which ever method you want, or are capable of using. Pick ONE

JTAG/SWD via ST-LINK w/ST-LINK Utilities

System Loader, via Serial Port (Flash Demonstrator) or USB (DFUSE)
Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
allenpoper
Associate II
Posted on February 28, 2014 at 14:23

I am confused after reading that document. My question is i have compiled a program and i want download hex file/exe file in to STM32F103xx. Which interface you will use to download in to flash memory.

I mean, i came to know USART 1 is used a as application download interface. But other stuff explained like, boot loader selection,boot loader version. Did i need to configure some thing while downloading program

allenpoper
Associate II
Posted on February 28, 2014 at 14:46

I mean, i came to know USART 1 is used a as application download interface. But other stuff explained like, boot loader selection,boot loader version. Did i need to configure some thing while downloading program

chen
Associate II
Posted on February 28, 2014 at 14:51

Hi

Sorry if I confused you.

The document I posted the link to, tells you how to put your device into download mode.

Read the bit about 'Boot0' - the device must have the pins (Boot0) set in order to run the built in bootloader.

This link :

http://www.st.com/web/en/catalog/tools/FM147/CL1794/SC961/SS1533/PF257525?s_searchtype=keyword

Will take you to where to download the utility program to use.

I am afraid I have never used it before.

allenpoper
Associate II
Posted on February 28, 2014 at 15:09

''I am afraid I have never used it before''

Then how you used to download binary files in a Flash memory