cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standard Peripheral Library status?

unicycle
Associate III
Posted on October 20, 2016 at 15:31

I've been using the Standard Peripheral Library for STM32F4 for years, and have always found it fairly intuitive, and the code sits neatly contained within my driver classes. My experience with CubeMX is that I really like the UI, but absolutely loathe the generated code, and don't find the new HAL library nearly as user-friendly. Perhaps I just need to give it more time and effort. I'm sure I read that the older library is deprecated. I guess that must be so? Pity.

Al

#no-hablo-hal
7 REPLIES 7
troyerta
Associate II
Posted on October 20, 2016 at 16:47

I'm with you on all these things. I've been playing with the idea of writing a PyQt program that generates Std, Periph initalization code in the same way CubeMx does. It should be fairly straightforward to support a few parts, but doing the entirety of even the F4 series would be lots of work. I might be able to parse out the .svd files that Keil uses to describe parts by.

Posted on October 20, 2016 at 17:03

http://www.purplealienplanet.com/node/61

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
ColdWeather
Senior
Posted on October 21, 2016 at 11:56

I abolutely agree on the article linked. I see no reason and even possibility to switch to CubeMX HAL from STL.

Where is that low level library mentioned?

Lead
Posted on October 21, 2016 at 12:30

> Where is that low level library mentioned?

In theory part of the Cube package for the particular MCU, but almost nonexistent for newer variants (like the F74x I looked at).

BTW, in regard to CubeMX, I find

http://www.purplealienplanet.com/node/60

very appropriate, too.

jpeacock23
Associate II
Posted on October 21, 2016 at 20:54

By any chance has someone converted the F4 SPL to L4?  There's a lot of similarity in most peripherals except for RCC, SYSCFG and FLASH.

johan239955_stm1
Associate
Posted on October 22, 2016 at 21:09

Hey cool, you found my blog 🙂

That post got quite some traction in a LinkedIn group with several ST people viewing it. Let's hope they get support for the rest of the STM32 controllers done soon.

Posted on October 24, 2016 at 21:27

LinkedIn pinged me, I thought it would work well here.

I've been complaining about HAL for ages.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..