Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32f4 + standbymode : need idea

ASSAAD.ASSAAD
Associate II
Posted on August 20, 2016 at 11:00

Hello ; 

I am using STM32F405 in my device ; I have some problem to configure the device in very low power mode ; 

The device should work from 18V/5000mah battery . 

The device should do selftest everyday : I use RTC alarm to wakeup from standby mode. 

The device should give an alarm if the battery is not connected ; 

what I do now is I charge a supercap and put the device in standbymode ;   the supercab and teh battery are connected to LDO  that power the STM32F4 ; 

STM32F4 is in standby mode either wakeuo by RTC alarm  very one hour to check if the battery removed or not  either wake up by a wakeup button for normal operation of teh device . 

I need the total current being consumed  from teh battery to be less than 100uA while I know the standby mode of  stm32f4 is about 20uA  ( max ) .  but I am getting 800uA ! ; I think it is due to the supercap or to the LDO ; 

But I have to put LDO ; 

DO you sugegst any other idea for this issue ? 

Down is the  shematic of the power 

0690X00000603BQQAY.jpg
5 REPLIES 5
Posted on August 20, 2016 at 14:47

How is the VBAT connected on the STM32F4 side?

What is the part# for the super-cap?

Could they be on the low voltage side?

You have an enable pin on the LDO, so you can easily turn that off.

Is the 3V3 powering other things?

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
ASSAAD.ASSAAD
Associate II
Posted on August 20, 2016 at 16:26

Hi Clive ; Tobe honest I was waiting your reply ; thank you first . 

The LDO have to be on all the time because the MCU in standby mode and waiting for wakeup PA0 or RTC alarm ; 

the supercaaps are 2 capacitors in series C19 and C34 . 

the 3.3 is only powering the MCU and connected to Vbat too . 

Posted on August 20, 2016 at 17:44

Yes I can see how you have them in series, I'm interested in the specific part number.

You can power the F4 while it is in standby via the the VBAT pin, I think a diode and super-cap arrangement there to power VBAT, and VDD absent the primary supply, and a way of enabling the LDO as it exits STANDBY. ie a GPIO with a weak pull-down, that is driven high by some very compact code in Reset_Handler

A super-cap on the low voltage side would be more efficient, and still permit you to swap out the 18V battery.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
ASSAAD.ASSAAD
Associate II
Posted on August 21, 2016 at 12:36

ASSAAD.ASSAAD
Associate II
Posted on August 21, 2016 at 12:41

Hi Clive ; 

I attached the shematic in the above post ; I hope I could undertood your idea ; 

Q23 + Q24 will get a ground from button , then Q24 will wakeup the MCU  form standby and Q23 will turn LDO  on ; then the MCU will turn the LDO  Via R31 . 

I used Q23 to  turn LDO incase of the supercap are disharged . 

Vbat here 18volt ; 

I connected Vcell of the MCU to 3V batetry . 

I wish you give me your comments and suggestions . 

Thank you in advanced