stm32f4 general performance

ASSAAD.ASSAAD
Associate II
Posted on May 29, 2014 at 22:26

stm32f4 general performance

#worst-forum-software-ever
6 REPLIES 6
Posted on May 29, 2014 at 23:03

This site does not work well with mobile devices (Microsoft), please try posting your message again.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
ASSAAD.ASSAAD
Associate II
Posted on May 30, 2014 at 09:14

Thank you clive ;

we need to collect dat from ads1298 at 8kHz sampling rate for 8 channels .

we need to use low pass filter fir of 400 taps ; nortch filter of 50 taps and high pass filter of 2 tabs

so for all channels we need about 12500 operation of ( multiplication and adds ) to be performed in 125u seconds , is stm32f407 capable of this ? or how can I calculate it ?

Thank you in advanced

Assaad

ivani
Associate II
Posted on May 30, 2014 at 10:00

The answer is clearly ''No''.

As there can't be more than one operation per clock cycle (no NEON) you need to have a clock period of 12E-6 / 12500 - or less than 1ns. This doesn't take into account load/store operations, so in reality the figure is much worse.

I guess you should look for much stronger CPU, or FPGA.

ASSAAD.ASSAAD
Associate II
Posted on May 30, 2014 at 10:23

Thanks Ivan ;

we are trying to move teh code of the kit ads1298 to stm32f4 ; the main dsp there is c5515 .

we are trying to manage this for stm32f4 , what the case of we decrease the sample rate to 2khz and decrease the FIR taps to get over total of about 5000 oprtation in 500uS , still the situation worse ?

ivani
Associate II
Posted on May 30, 2014 at 13:51

5000 operations for 500us seems achievable.

But why don't you test it on a real chip? If you don't have your hardware ready yet there are Discovery boards, which cost nothing. You could run your tests on it to take some benchmarks.

P.S. It is a full mess with this forum. My first response appeared before your question :-). I think that you initially asked about 12500 operations per 12us but even for 125us it will not be possible.

Posted on May 30, 2014 at 15:31

P.S. It is a full mess with this forum. My first response appeared before your question :-).

Edited responses will change the time stamp and ordering of the posts, this Microsoft forum has got to be one of the most retarded solutions out there.
Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..