cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32L152 as USB host

i2
Associate II
Posted on March 10, 2014 at 05:24

Has anyone used the STM32L series USB in host mode?

I'm looking at this part at design-in stage. I need the Capsense feature but I also need to use USB in host mode to support optional WiFi.. The ''circuit diagram'' on the website says it has USB OTG FS but I can see no reference in the specs.

Thanks

#w5500 #usb-host #usb-stm32l
7 REPLIES 7
Posted on March 10, 2014 at 14:43

Do you clearly understand the programming/driver requirements of the WiFi module? How many end-points are utilized? Would an SPI/USART based WiFi module cause far less headaches?

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
i2
Associate II
Posted on March 11, 2014 at 04:05

Thanks Clive, yes I know about the complexities. I have discussed it with our software engineers but I'm the hardware engineer in this project.

What we would like is the ability to optionally add wired or wireless Ethernet in the field to what is a price-sensitive product.

If the USB can run as host then we should be able to do this. If it can't, then we will have to look at other ways that will add cost to the basic product. Yes, SPI was my plan B if we can't get the USB to run host mode.

Is it possible on this chip?

If not, is there one with both Capsense and USB host capability?

Posted on March 11, 2014 at 09:52

As far as I'm aware the STM32L15x series didn't support USB FS OTG

http://www.st.com/st-web-ui/static/active/en/resource/technical/document/application_note/DM000329pdf

What about the

http://www.st.com/web/en/catalog/mmc/FM141/SC1169/SS1295/LN1808/PF255680

? The diagram does say OTG, but the docs/sw don't seem to support it. Will push to moderation.

0690X0000060MmKQAU.gif

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Amel NASRI
ST Employee
Posted on March 11, 2014 at 13:23

Hi Clive1,

I confirm; STM32L1 doesn't support USB OTG FS. This includes STM32L100.

Thanks for your relevant feedbacks Clive1, issue with web diagrams will be fixed soon.

-Mayla-

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Posted on March 11, 2014 at 14:26

Thank you for the clarification.

i2
Associate II
Posted on March 12, 2014 at 01:00

Thanks All, I suspected as much. Copy and Paste error!

OK, I am resigned to using SPI to interface the Ethernet. Initially looked at the ENC28J60 from Microchip but the W5500 from Wiznet looks more interesting, it integrates the TCP-IP stack which looks like it would make the software dev much easier.

Anyone else gone down this route?

Do ST have anything like this?

i2
Associate II
Posted on March 13, 2014 at 00:15

While chasing up magnetics info for the W5500 I found this:

http://wizwiki.net/wiki/doku.php?id=products:w5500:driver