cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microcontroller load

sriharsha
Associate
Posted on April 21, 2014 at 11:17

How do I calculate/decide the clock frequency of a microcontroller and load it can take?

for example, if a controller is capable of 32MHz clock frequency, with 4UARTs, USB host, 2 I2C & SPI, 20 GPIOs, an LCD controller inbuilt...I want to use all of these. How to decide whether the controller has sufficient capability to drive all of them?

Thanks & Regards,

Harsha

#microcontroller #clock #load
2 REPLIES 2
Andrew Neil
Chief II
Posted on April 21, 2014 at 16:17

It's not so much the peripherals themselves, as what you do with them - specifically, how much data, how fast, and what processing needs to done on it

Posted on April 21, 2014 at 17:19

One would normally have a good sense of what the complexity of the task would require, and where needed you'd benchmark or profile the code to either confirm or improve that knowledge.

If you don't have access to equipment and tools, you can use simple indicators like toggling GPIO/LEDs measured on a scope, or measuring run-time with free running counters/timers, or cycle counters.

The key is to have experience, and be able to apply that to different contexts. Basically like driving to/from work everyday, and at different times, you get an appreciation about where accidents occur, where the police set up radar traps, and when/where congestion occurs.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..