cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F4 break inputs

Posted on October 01, 2015 at 14:24

Hello there,

I am currently making a motor driver using stm32f4 discovery board. I would like to implement a current limiting feature and for that I want to use the break inputs (for TIM1 and TIM8). The problem is I am searching the datasheet and its nowhere to be found. I dont know which physical pins on the MCU are the break inputs. How to find this out? I would really apreciate all help!
6 REPLIES 6
Chris1
Senior III
Posted on October 01, 2015 at 15:42

The Reference Manual has a diagram showing the break inputs as TIMx_BKIN.  You should be able to find pins such as TIM1_BKIN specified in the Datasheet.

Posted on October 01, 2015 at 19:03

Hello thank you for answer,

I have found the worb ''bkin'' only in one place in the whole 2k pages datasheet. Its in a diagram but it doesnt say which shisical pin can be configured as one (like PA1, PB2 etc...).
Chris1
Senior III
Posted on October 01, 2015 at 19:38

The Datasheet is not the same document as the Reference Manual.  You need to look in the Datasheet document applicable to the device you are using to find details of the pin capabilities.

Posted on October 01, 2015 at 20:10

Could you please help me out with this, I think I still dont fully get how st datasheeting works. So there is:

- A short datasheet (production data?)

- A refference manual

- And the one you are talking about I think, how is it called?
Chris1
Senior III
Posted on October 01, 2015 at 20:59

For example, for STM32F405xx, there is a document with ''Datasheet - production data'' at the top, and ''DocID022152'' at the bottom, i.e., http://www.st.com/web/en/resource/technical/document/datasheet/DM00037051.pdf

Therein can be found the capabilities for all pins of the various packages available for STM32F405 variants.

TIM1_BKIN is an alternate function of the pin named PA6 which is pin 22, or H8, or pin 31, etc. depending on which package you are using.

Posted on October 02, 2015 at 08:32

I got it. Thank you a lot :).