cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F4 build in bootloader

Posted on November 17, 2015 at 10:49

Hello there,

I am working on an application now where I have to be able to reprogram the chip memory from a connected PC (most likelly USB). I have read that there are BOOT0 and BOOT1 lines which allows one to jump to the hardware serial bootloader (I am not sure if USB works too?). The problem is I wont be able to phisically short/ pull them by only having usb connection. I was wondering, can I set the BOOT1/0 registers by software, so I can restart the mcu and boot it into hardware bootloader only by using USB connection?
3 REPLIES 3
Amel NASRI
ST Employee
Posted on November 17, 2015 at 11:41

Hi Bremen,

In order to be able to reprogram the chip memory from a connected PC, I recommend you review the example STM32Cube_FW_F4_V1.9.0\Projects\STM324xG_EVAL\Applications\USB_Device\DFU_Standalone. It describes how to use USB device application based on the Device Firmware Upgrade (DFU) on the STM32F4xx devices.

As recommended in the readme file, the DFU demo can be downloaded from

http://www.st.com/web/en/catalog/tools/FM147/CL1794/SC961/SS1533/PF257916

It is possible to bypass the BOOT pins and use software configuration to select the memory accessible at address 0x00000000: you have to use SYSCFG_MEMRMP for this purpose (Refer to RM0090).

-Mayla-

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Posted on November 17, 2015 at 11:49

Thank you :).