cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bugs in stm32f10x LL library

amomum
Associate III
Posted on August 21, 2017 at 14:16

I tried to use LL library for stm32f10x without CubeMX (  * @version V1.1.1  * @date: 12-May-2017) and almost immediately found some problems:

1) You can't actually download LL library without CubeMX, even if you don't want to use Cube. That's not a but, that's just irritating.

2) It seems that you can't enable clocking of any periphery because there is no equivalent of RCC_AHBPeriphClockCmd in ll_rcc module.

3) If I enabled GPIO blocking with something like

RCC->APB2ENR |= RCC_APB2ENR_IOPCEN;

and then try to do:

RCC->APB2ENR |= RCC_APB2ENR_IOPCEN;

LL_GPIO_InitTypeDef initStruct;

LL_GPIO_StructInit( &initStruct );

initStruct.Mode = LL_GPIO_MODE_OUTPUT_10MHz;

initStruct.OutputType = LL_GPIO_OUTPUT_PUSHPULL;

initStruct.Speed = LL_GPIO_SPEED_FREQ_HIGH;

initStruct.Pin = LL_GPIO_PIN_9; // that equals 0x04020002

LL_GPIO_Init( GPIOC, &initStruct )

This code will actually init PC.2 to output push-pull.

Why? LL_GPIO_Init does this:

pinpos = POSITION_VAL(GPIO_InitStruct->Pin);

where

#define POSITION_VAL(VAL)     (__CLZ(__RBIT(VAL)))

obviously, pinpos will be equal to 1.

Then current pin will be calculated like this:

currentpin = (GPIO_InitStruct->Pin) & (0x00000101U << pinpos);

so currentpint will be equal to 2.

And then

LL_GPIO_SetPinMode(GPIOx, currentpin, GPIO_InitStruct->Mode);

will be called, despite the fact that LL_GPIO_SetPinMode should accept parameters like LL_GPIO_PIN_x.

4) And here we have another 'bug' - all inline functions in header files do not check their arguments with assert_param!

I'm actually startled, how something as simple as this can be broken and not tested?! Or maybe i'm horribly wrong and just using LL library in the wrong way?

5 REPLIES 5
Posted on August 21, 2017 at 14:53

1. Isn't it bundled with

http://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/embedded-software/mcus-embedded-software/stm32-embedded-software/stm32cube-embedded-software/stm32cubef1.html

?

2. That's not true, look at the numerous examples at STM32Cube_FW_F1_V1.6.0/Projects/STM32F103RB-Nucleo/Examples_LL

4. Maybe this is deliberate. LL is a lightweight and advanced library, you should know what you are doing. assert_params would use a lot of space if used in every inline function, there was a case when I couldn't use the default debug build of a project with HAL because assert_params use too much flash.

Posted on August 21, 2017 at 16:00

1) I can't see a big difference between CubeF1 and CubeMX. I still can't just download the sources of the library, I have to generate a project and install unnecessary software.

2) My bad, haven't looked in the bus.h.

3) That's my main concern here.

4) assert_params are already optional. We need them at the debug stage, we disable them after all stupid bugs are fixed. I would prefer having them everywhere.

Posted on August 21, 2017 at 16:16

1) Well there is a big difference. CubeMX is the software, whereas, last time I checked, CubeFx and CubeLx are only the archived library files (with their examples, documentation, etc) without the 'unnecessary software'.

3) I can't look at it right now to try to confirm/deny the bug, maybe somebody else can help.

4) I tend to agree.

Posted on August 21, 2017 at 16:30

1) Jeez, you are right! Please excuse my ignorance!

Max Zulus
Associate
Posted on December 01, 2017 at 02:54

3. LL F1 series lib has an error in the configuration function LL_GPIO_Init. You can fix it or do not use. Unfortunately, I just study the library for academic purposes and can not guarantee the working capacity after correction. But you can try written 

'>> 8' 

in two places:

/* Initialize pinpos on first pin set */

pinpos = POSITION_VAL((GPIO_InitStruct->Pin>>8));

/* Configure the port pins */

while ((((GPIO_InitStruct->Pin>>8) & 0x0000FFFFU) >> pinpos) != 0x00000000U)