Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stm32f4discovery + nokia n82 lcd

armindavatgaran
Associate III
Posted on July 28, 2015 at 17:09

Hello

I decide to start interfacing stm32f4discovery with nokia n82 lcd.

apparently, lcd controller chip is mc2pa8201.

How can i start writing driver?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Posted on July 28, 2015 at 17:42

How can i start writing driver?

I guess you could read the data sheets and any supporting material thoroughly, and then apply that to F4 coding and interfacing skills?

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
armindavatgaran
Associate III
Posted on July 28, 2015 at 19:50

In the stm32f407 datasheet, it is mentioned that:

The FSMC can be configured to interface seamlessly with most graphic LCD controllers. It

supports the Intel 8080 and Motorola 6800 modes, and is flexible enough to adapt to

specific LCD interfaces. This LCD parallel interface capability makes it easy to build cost effective graphic applications using LCD modules with embedded controllers or high

performance solutions using external controllers with dedicated acceleration.

But there isn't any further description neither in datasheet nor in RM0090 about how to use and configure it.

Posted on July 28, 2015 at 20:25

Ok, but the 6800/8080 busing scheme relates to these 1970-1980's era parts for which prolific amount numbers of books and teaching texts, dealing with microprocessor interfacing, cover this area.

The F4 FSMC provides for an external bus, with chip selects, using wide data and address buses. Beyond the data bus width the FSMC provide a means of configuring the timing and sequencing of signals on the bus, providing significant opportunity to interface to all manner of devices, ie NOR, NANDFLASH, SRAM, FGPA, LCD, etc.

The reference manuals discuss the timing, and provide diagrams, the prerequisite of course is that you have sufficient experience and grounding to be able to use that data. The Reference Manuals are not targeted as tutorial material, but have an expectation that you're reasonably practiced in the art. There's at least 30 years of material you can refer back to, to give you whatever depth of understanding you need.

To gain some experience I'd suggest looking at how other 320x240 controllered displays are attached to STM32 parts, how the external buses are configured, and how the software accesses the registers and frame buffers in these devices. There's more commonality in how this is done than there are differences.

You'll need to review the LCD datasheets, and decompose the descriptions into timing and sequencing to for fill those requirements.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
stm32forum
Associate II
Posted on July 28, 2015 at 23:11

Use google, you get the driver in under 30 seconds.

For example https://github.com/andysworkshop/stm32plus/tree/master/examples/mc2pa8201