Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beginner Assistance, connecting the STM32F103RCT6

lo0446
Associate II
Posted on January 13, 2015 at 10:15

Hi all,

I have been asked to take over a project on a custom built board that features the STM32F103RCT6 processor. I have installed Keil Uvision IDE but am struggling to communicate with the board so I wondered if you could give me some advice.

So far I have installed the 'virtual com port driver' and the 'st-link_v2_usbdriver' and I have the PCB and a usb/RS232 (serial) cable. The usb-to-serial cable is showing up in device manager but the board itself is not. I'm currently using Windows 7 x64.

Do I need to get a JTAG interface to start flashing the board and using it via the IDE? I've sucessfully flashed the board using this usb/rs232 cable given a hex dump but that's it.

Apologies if this is all very simple, I'm reasonably new to embedded programming and trying to get to grips with it all.

Thanks for your time
3 REPLIES 3
lo0446
Associate II
Posted on January 13, 2015 at 10:17

I should have mentioned I have successfully flashed the board with a .hex file using a separate program called 'MCU in system programmer'

I also don't have much access to the original developers, they are Chinese so language barrier is an issue and are difficult to get hold of.

Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2015 10:15 AM

Subject: Beginner Assistance, connecting the STM32F103RCT6

Hi all,

I have been asked to take over a project on a custom built board that features the STM32F103RCT6 processor. I have installed Keil Uvision IDE but am struggling to communicate with the board so I wondered if you could give me some advice.

So far I have installed the 'virtual com port driver' and the 'st-link_v2_usbdriver' and I have the PCB and a usb/RS232 (serial) cable. The usb-to-serial cable is showing up in device manager but the board itself is not. I'm currently using Windows 7 x64.

Do I need to get a JTAG interface to start flashing the board and using it via the IDE? I've sucessfully flashed the board using this usb/rs232 cable given a hex dump but that's it.

Apologies if this is all very simple, I'm reasonably new to embedded programming and trying to get to grips with it all.

Thanks for your time
Posted on January 13, 2015 at 17:47

Do you have an

http://www.st.com/web/catalog/tools/FM146/CL1984/SC724/SS1677/PF251168?sc=internet/evalboard/product/251168.jsp

? Or just install a driver?

Typically you'd need an actual JTAG pod (U-LINK, J-LINK, ST-LINK) to download code from Keil using JTAG or SWD debugger connectivity.

The ST Discovery boards include an on-board ST-LINK by way of an STM32F103 part, your board likely does not include such an arrangement.

For downloading code you can also use USART1, and a tool called the Flash Loader Demonstrator, or equivalent application. This does not provide any debugging functionality. You could however provide debug/telemetry information out of a serial port to monitor what your device is doing.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
lo0446
Associate II
Posted on January 14, 2015 at 04:50

Hi Clive,

Thanks for the response. To actually develop on this board over the long term it sounds like I need a JTAG adapter, I don't believe I have a discovery board. I'll go ahead and buy one and see where I go from there.

Thanks for your help