Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M24SR how to lock for writing

joaquim
Associate III
Posted on September 30, 2015 at 17:08

Hi,

I write the NDEF area of a M24SR with an Android Application Record. Whenever I put the tag close to the phone, it launches an application, in my case the Calculator. That is ok.

Now I want this tag to be write-protected, so its NDEF content is final and nobody can modify it anymore. I've tried using the ''M24SR Demo'' application to ''Lock Write Access''. I set a password successfully.

However, now the Android phone does not launch the calculator application anymore when put next to this tag. It says ''non-compatible label''. Whenever I remove the password it works again. That is NOT what I want. I simply want the content of the tag to be read-only while still working flawlessly with Android.

So, please tell me how to achieve this 🙂 Thanks a lot in advance.

#m24sr-password #m24sr-password
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JP Miller
Senior
Posted on October 15, 2015 at 13:42

Hello,

The default 'M24SR Demo' application does not allow to permanently lock the M24SR tag, as we want to avoid our customers making their tags as Read Only by mistake, with no possibility to change the content anymore.

We can send you a dedicated application for making your tag read-only. Could you please share your email address for that purpose?

Best regards

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
joaquim
Associate III
Posted on October 14, 2015 at 12:38

Is anybody from STMicroElectronics checking this forum?

Is my question (is there anyway to lock as read-only the M24SR and keep it compatible) that difficult?

Please let me know.

JP Miller
Senior
Posted on October 14, 2015 at 16:42

Hello,

It is indeed possible to protect in write the content of the NDEF file. There could be different means based on your needs. Are you interested in your application to achieve a permanent read-only state, or would you like to be able to modify the content of the tag based on presenting a password?

Have a nice day.

Kind regards,
joaquim
Associate III
Posted on October 14, 2015 at 18:17

Hi NFC product support3,

permanent state, thanks.

I just want to protect it and keep my Android phone working with no difference. Can I set permanent read-only state from your Android app?

Thanks.

JP Miller
Senior
Posted on October 15, 2015 at 13:42

Hello,

The default 'M24SR Demo' application does not allow to permanently lock the M24SR tag, as we want to avoid our customers making their tags as Read Only by mistake, with no possibility to change the content anymore.

We can send you a dedicated application for making your tag read-only. Could you please share your email address for that purpose?

Best regards

joaquim
Associate III
Posted on October 15, 2015 at 14:31

Hi, 

rutpedpam@gmail.com

Please let me know once you have sent such app.

Thanks in advance.

JP Miller
Senior
Posted on October 15, 2015 at 16:57

Hello,

the app has been sent to your mailbox.

Regards,

christoph2
Associate II
Posted on December 18, 2015 at 07:54

Hello,

I hope you don't mind me using this thread. I'm having the same problem as the OP, however the solution to set the permanent read-only state is not feasible for me.

In my application I would like to be able to store an ndef record of type URI and password-protect the writing, however reading should still work for everyone. Im using I2C to set the password however a native android app that I'm writing must still be able to overwrite the chip by presenting the password, so the read-only state doesn't work for me.

Now I find that as soon as I activate a write password in the M24SR64 chip, the smartphone apps that I've tried don't recognise the data as a valid ndef records anymore although the data in the ndef file are exactly the same as before.

I've tried it with the built-in apps of Android and Windows Phone, both don't give me the usual response of opening a web browser anymore.

Android doesn't react at all, Windows just makes a beep and nothing else.

When I read the tag with some other apps on android, they are able to show me all the ndef data in the chip, but they don't recognise it as such, it's just dumb raw data to them...

Has anyone come across this problem as well ? Is there anything that can be done about it ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Kind regards,

Christoph Haas

JP Miller
Senior
Posted on December 21, 2015 at 09:02

Hello,

For current native applications on the smartphone, a permanent lock is required. We are working with Android operating system developers for enabling temporary lock as well.

Have a good day.

Best regards