Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STLM20W87F Output Values Do Not Change

Rogers.Gary
Senior II
Posted on June 08, 2017 at 04:31

Hello:

I am using the STLM20W87F temperature sensor in an application, basically, on a PCB to measure ambient temperature.

Referring to page 10 of the datasheet, I have the sensor connected with a filter of 1000p / 10K. That output goes directly to the ADC input of the controller. My STM32F4 is sampling at 200 samples/sec. The Vref pin of the controller is at Vdd = 3.3V. At an ambient of 25C, the ADC values are around 2235 - 2260. This translates to a voltage of (2250/4095) x 3.3 = 1.81V. It seems to be high for the value in the datasheet that should be around 1.55 for T=25C. If I measure the actual voltage at the output of the STLM20W, it's pretty much spot-on at 1.59V.

If I put my finger on the sensor, the counts should decrease, but barely moves. I even tried warm air from a hair dryer but nothing significant, maybe 100 counts lower. Ditto for taking some canned air and spraying on the device, the counts don't increase much, maybe 50 at most.

Questions:

1 - Why the discrepancy between a DMM measurement and the ADC? I can see 10's of millivolts, not hundreds.

2 - Why is there no obvious ADC count changes with warm air and cool air placed to the device?

I hope someone can help with this dilemma, thanks so much!

Roger

#adc-reads #stlm20w
1 REPLY 1
Rogers.Gary
Senior II
Posted on June 08, 2017 at 06:15

Found the problem. Did a reconfiguration of I/O and still had other ADC pin, works 100% !!!  Very accurate sensor !!!

Thanks!!