cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F4 I2S2 pin AF Multiplexer issue(s)?

schauer
Associate II
Posted on July 08, 2014 at 15:54

Hi all,

when configuring I2S2 on Pins PB14/PB15 (SDext/SD)  I encounter that no data is ever output on those pins.

When configuring PC2/PC3 as SD/SDext for I2S2 the data is output on that pins (but not on PB14/PB15). WS and CLK are configured on Pins PB9 and PD3.

The chip used is a STM32F427VGT6 (LQFP100) revision Y.

Can anyone confirm that issue? Within the errata or data sheet I couldn't find anything in regard to this.

Additionally: Does anyone use I2S and an ULPI phy on a design?

Thanks in advance,

bs

#i2s #full-duplex #stm32 #dma
9 REPLIES 9
Posted on July 08, 2014 at 16:03

Be wary that PB14 as SDext needs GPIO_AF_SPI3 (6), not GPIO_AF_SPI2 (5)

0690X0000060MmVQAU.gif

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
schauer
Associate II
Posted on July 08, 2014 at 16:57

Clive1,

thanks for the information, I encountered that yesterday. With my chips here it makes a difference for the I2S2_SD wire if I use AF5 on PB15 or on PC3.

On PB15 I always measure GND and on PC3 I see the pattern that I output via firmware on the scope.

At the beginning I used a full duplex interface and then reduced it to a half duplex one to isolate the issue.

I checked the PCB for a short circuit on PB15 to ground, removed the I2S receiver on the other side etc. Currently it's just a pin (configured Push-Pull) without anything connected to it.

Anyway the clocks on PD3/PB9 are outputting just fine.

Posted on July 08, 2014 at 18:02

If there genuinely is an issue here it might help to furnish a complete/concise example, I understand it helps to get independent confirmation, but this is a bit outside my scope to conjure up a worked example.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
schauer
Associate II
Posted on July 09, 2014 at 13:11

Clive1,

yesterday I created a ''minimal example'' to reproduce the issue, with interesting results: basically if only using I2S2 on those pins (with other functionality disabled) it works.

I then checked back with my software (using USB HS with ULPI, I2C, etc. ) and found it not working (same configuration).

After I disabled the USB HS peripheral (configured as ULPI) the I2S started working....

PB14 and PB15 are as other alternate function USB HS DP and DM pins.

I assume: the DP and DM pins are routed directly to the USB HS peripheral, irrespective of using ULPI or the embedded USB 2.0 FS PHY and the state of the AF multiplexer.

I hope I'll be able to post an example showing the issue today evening.

schauer
Associate II
Posted on July 09, 2014 at 15:35

Finally, no example, but a solution:

If USB_OTG_GCCFG_PWRDWN is set (thus transciever power down is deactivated) the DM/DP pins are driven by USB, irrespective of their function mapping.

USB_OTG_GCCFG_PWRDWN is necessary only when using the HS peripheral with the on board FS PHY.

It would be nice if such things would be mentioned anywhere.

Posted on July 10, 2014 at 13:22

Does this happen also when those pins are used in a different AF, eg. as timer PWM output?

Is it enough to set only the USB_OTG_GCCFG_PWRDWN bit, without any other OTG initialization/setup, for the problem to occur?

That might lead to a simpler ''minimal example'' others might try to reproduce.

JW

schauer
Associate II
Posted on July 10, 2014 at 14:05

As all files are auto-generated from CubeMX with small changes, the example is not complex anyway.

I attach the last source code I reproduced the issue with.

It is completely self-contained (without makefile/project file), so no external references required. To link against the local available library just exclude the lib directory.

I could provide the CrossStudio project file on request.

Attachments :

i2s2_example.zip : https://st--c.eu10.content.force.com/sfc/dist/version/download/?oid=00Db0000000YtG6&ids=0680X000006I0ge&d=%2Fa%2F0X0000000bdX%2Ft7g7vA9aUyD0wYgMa7aOOOJ50evFglDVo9cjvivsZxU&asPdf=false
Posted on July 10, 2014 at 14:37

> As all files are auto-generated from CubeMX with small changes, the example is not complex anyway.

Thanks, but that's unusable for me. I intended to try to reproduce it on a 40x. I don't use Cube nor any other ''library'', especially when it comes to problems which could be potentially caused by library bugs.

Nevertheless, it still sounds like a silicon bug and worth reporting through https://my.st.com/onlinesupport/app?page=onlineSupport or any other channel you have towards ST.

JW

schauer
Associate II
Posted on July 10, 2014 at 16:06

JW,

i understand what you think of. I do have my own implementation of all functions I use from the processor. To create a minimal example I thought of using the generated stuff ...

Anyway, if you use a 40x series processor you'd need to change the PLL.N value to 336 and comment out the EnableOverdrive in main.c. All other files simply need to be compiled and linked together. Everything needed to compile should be included.

I already filed a support ticket with them, but I wait also for a response to my last one (from May).

BS