cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to 'factory reset' the LIS3DH?

dtroutt
Associate
Posted on April 08, 2014 at 16:13

Hi,

Is there an easy way to 'factory reset' the LIS3DH?

Does a simple power cycle do this?

I looked through the data sheet and app note and could not see this defined there.

Thanks

#lis3dh-reset
4 REPLIES 4
Taylor.Sean
Associate II
Posted on September 26, 2016 at 21:54

I would also like to know if there is a way to reset all of the registers of the LIS3DH (including reserved) to their powerup defaults without having to power cycle the accelerometer.

I ask because I think some of our devices have become corrupted by the bug / vulnerability in the LIS3DH described in this thread:

/70a26a03

It relates to using the LIS3DH on a shared SPI bus.

Miroslav BATEK
ST Employee
Posted on September 27, 2016 at 13:10

You can try to reboot accelerometer memory content writing 1 to bit BOOT (MSB bit) in register CTRL_REG5_A (24h). See page 32 of the datasheet.

Best regards

Miroslav

Taylor.Sean
Associate II
Posted on September 27, 2016 at 14:38

Miroslav, thanks.  Unfortunately this does not seem to clear/reset any of the registers marked as ''Reserved''.   These have been corrupted, I think by the use of the LIS3DH on a shared SPI bus.

I need to set them back to defaults, but since they are undocumented I don't know what values to use (except from copying the values from a correctly functioning LIS3DH).

Is it acceptable to simply copy the reserved register values from a correctly functioning LIS3DH, or are the values device specific ?

Miroslav BATEK
ST Employee
Posted on October 07, 2016 at 16:56

It has been told to me, that to corrupt internal data by connecting the sensor on a shared SPI but is very very rare, probably impossible.

So maybe something different happened with the sensor.

If you power off and on the device and the data are still corrupted you will have to replace the sensor.

Some data are unique for each sensor (for example calibration) and they won’t be valid for different sensor.

Best regards

Miroslav