Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stm32f4 pwm input example

jono-tree
Associate II
Posted on April 26, 2014 at 20:44

Is anybody willing to explain

''

The TIMxCLK frequency is set to SystemCoreClock/4 (Hz). The Prescaler is 0, so the

counter clock is SystemCoreClock/2 (Hz).

''

Is TIMxCLK not the same as counter clock?

Thanks,

Jonathan
4 REPLIES 4
Posted on April 26, 2014 at 22:12

Where APB is SYSCLK/4 then TIMCLK = SYSCLK/2

See the Clock Tree Diagram in the Reference Manual
Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
jono-tree
Associate II
Posted on April 26, 2014 at 23:23

ok I think I understand that diagrram now, or at least the bit of it that goes

HSE/HSI/PLLCLK -> AHB PRESC -> if(APBx presc = 1x1, else x2) -> APBx timer clocks.

I'd tried to study diagram that a while back when I was much more of a beginner and was utterly baffled. My understanding of the clocks is that a few different, options HSE, LSE and something else I can't remember off the top of my head can be chosen as the system clock, then all other clocks are derivative of that. I would have expected the clock tree diagram to look more like a family tree though.. ie, one or more sources at the top like ancestors, then each of those producing a derivative ones, which produce generations derivative generations.

Clive, do you think you could point out to me where the 'top generation', ie the HSE oscillator would be found in this clock diagram? I think if I get that I can get closer to understanding the whole thing. Just a quadrant of it with a label, you don't have to be too specific.

Posted on April 27, 2014 at 00:19

The other source is the PLL, which is a clock multiplier (basically divides a reference clock down to 1 MHz, and uses that in a feedback loop to control a faster voltage controlled oscillator)

0690X000006058QQAQ.png
Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
jono-tree
Associate II
Posted on April 27, 2014 at 00:28

I cannot express how helpful that diagram is, thankyou so much!! Looking at it now I don't know how I missed the HSE OSC to start with.