cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CubeMX 4.21 - Java SE RE 8.0.131 crashing when saving new project

George.P
Associate III
Posted on May 19, 2017 at 14:34

As in title, when trying to save a new project the Cube crashes generating a Java error log file.

Seems to happen just before opening a file dialogue window to ask where to save the new project.

#cube-mx #stm32cubemx-java #java-crash
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ralph E
Associate II
Posted on July 15, 2017 at 15:28

Try this 

Remove Windows 10 'GodMode shortcut'

Thanks to: 

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/43836174/java-applications-crash-when-browse-control-used

After erase, it work's

RDE

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Imen.D
ST Employee
Posted on May 19, 2017 at 15:08

Hi

Pikoulis.George

Your issue is reported internally and under investigation.

Thanks

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen
Posted on May 19, 2017 at 15:20

Hi Imen,

Thanks for looking into it. Please keep me posted.

Posted on May 19, 2017 at 16:10

Imen,

Can't CubeMX (and other Java-based ST programs) come also in an alternative flavour with the JVM bundled? That would create a standalone executable independent of Java being installed on a given machine, and possibly avoid incompatibility issues such as the one reported here.

Jan

George.P
Associate III
Posted on May 22, 2017 at 11:54

Continuing to the original problem, I've clean installed Java and Cube, after removing all previous installations. Now I'm getting the following error. I guess a bundled version might help, as Jan noted.

0690X00000603qiQAA.jpg

''java -version'' runs normally on the command prompt, so Java and its environmental variables should be correct.

Posted on May 22, 2017 at 14:41

Fixed that error and now I'm still getting the older error (the same as the one generating the log file).

Posted on May 22, 2017 at 14:51

With Windows and the Registry, things became confusing. Uninstallers often fail to remove all remains of the application's trash from the registry, and reliably prevent a successful re-installation.

You can check out one of those various 'Registry cleaners', or try it on a clean machine.

Having a virtual machine for such purposes proved to be a good idea as well.

Posted on May 22, 2017 at 14:56

To be honest that's what I did today.

I've made an Ubuntu VM solely for Cube, and it's working pretty well.

Posted on May 22, 2017 at 15:16

That is kind of a different animal.

Unix/Linux uses a different approach to application configuration, and installation/de-installation.

In fact, the Unix community usually references the Windows Registry as 'a perfect example of a single-point-of-fail'.

They have other issues, though (think OpenJDK vs. Oracle JDK).

I guess a Windows VM would have worked equally well - until tainted ...

Posted on May 23, 2017 at 07:23

Concerning Win, didn't want to run into licensing problems.

In any case, my Cube projects are just a snapshot away if something bad happens, which makes me sleep easier. I should probably do the same with the compilers.