cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any app note / guide on migrating from STM32F2 std. periph. lib. to HAL

Taylor.Sean
Associate II
Posted on May 02, 2014 at 17:46

I have an existing project using  STM32F2 std. periph. library, and now I need to add USB.  The STMCube was just released for STM32F2, but this is HAL based and it seems that HAL is similar but different to std. periph. library.

I have googled and searched this site, but I can't find any documentation that covers the process of migrating a std. periph. lib. project to HAL.  I could take the brute force and ignorance approach and just dive in and gradually beat out all of the compiler errors, but if there is a better approach I'd like to know about it.  
9 REPLIES 9
Amel NASRI
ST Employee
Posted on May 06, 2014 at 15:17

There will be a migration guide from standard library to Cube. Coming soon...

-Mayla-

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

fesslerbrandon
Associate
Posted on November 21, 2014 at 13:47

Any update on the release of an app note/guide for migrating from the SPL to the new Cube HAL libraries?

Posted on November 21, 2014 at 14:17

Throw away, Rewrite, Debug, a lot, Simples...

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
fesslerbrandon
Associate
Posted on November 21, 2014 at 16:17

Ha! I'd have to agree with you Clive... I just scrapped what I was working on in Cube and am returning to the STP until things become more clear  : (

It's too bad, because there are elements of the Cube that are good ideas, as well as it having more recent versions of STemWin and FreeRTOS (though with the latter, installing an even more current version is possible externally). 

If you want to setup an entire system of peripherals from start, it seems to require far too much digging to make sense of it all, e.g., the Cube FW Demos don't match current CubeMX output, too many layers of abstraction to wade through, and no clear development guides - even though the platform has been around for awhile now. The STP is very straight forward by comparison.

While bugs in Cube are certainly annoying (I wasted a few days on one before the last update cleared the error I was seeing), I think the main issue is that without proper support material to encourage the transition to the format, many developers of larger, multi-peripheral systems will stick with the STP - we've got deadlines to meet, no time to mess about!

Posted on November 21, 2014 at 21:25

The concept is good, perhaps a bit over ambitious, and the abstraction and model are a bit thick and awkward. HAL/CUBE require a different mindset, so trying a straight port is a bit difficult.

totti001
Associate II
Posted on December 12, 2014 at 21:56

Yes the concept is good. With cubemx you can generate the project with all required files. I used it my project, I have a working project with standard library, everything is working. I would like to switch to cube. It seems working, but every day I found strange errors for example the compiled code stop at the HAL_Init function. So I swtich back to standard library.

ib_gaus
Associate II
Posted on June 09, 2015 at 19:51

Hello,

where can I find this migration guide from Stdperiph Lib to HAL Cube?

Especially for STM32F405.

Thanks.

Posted on June 09, 2015 at 21:58

Where can I find this migration guide from Stdperiph Lib to HAL Cube?

Did they actually publish one? I Googled and ended up back here.

I suggest you code something mildly complex with HAL/Cube, say a USART IRQ buffering scheme, because I think it's a significant paradigm change.
arm7
Associate
Posted on October 06, 2016 at 19:36

Can you please tell me, where this migration guide you  mentioned as ''coming soon'' can be downloaded?

I would also be interested in a guide for migrating from STM32F4 std. periph. lib. to HAL.

Thank you.