Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HAL bug with 1-byte I2C reads

malcolm23
Associate III
Posted on June 26, 2015 at 00:17

Greetings all,

I'm using the 1.6.0 release of the STM32F4xx_HAL_Driver, and I believe there's a problem with doing 1-byte I2C reads using the HAL_I2C_Master_Receive_IT function.

Doing reads of more than one byte works fine:

• The user calls HAL_I2C_Master_Receive_IT

• The I2C_EV_IRQn interrupt fires, which calls HAL_I2C_EV_IRQHandler

• The HAL_I2C_EV_IRQHandler finds I2C_FLAG_MSL set (implying ''Master'' mode)

• The event is processed by the ''Master'' portion of the HAL_I2C_EV_IRQHandler function

• Once all bytes are read, the HAL_I2C_MasterRxCpltCallback function is invoked

Doing a 1-byte read fails as follows:

• The user calls HAL_I2C_Master_Receive_IT

• The HAL_I2C_Master_Receive_IT function 

sets I2C_CR1_STOP

(to stop after the first byte)
  • The I2C_EV_IRQn interrupt fires, which calls HAL_I2C_EV_IRQHandler

• The HAL_I2C_EV_IRQHandler 

finds I2C_FLAG_MSL clear

(implying ''Slave'' mode)
  • The event is processed by the ''Slave'' portion of the HAL_I2C_EV_IRQHandler function

• The ''Slave'' portion of HAL_I2C_EV_IRQHandler cannot invoke HAL_I2C_MasterRxCpltCallback

The STM32F429 Reference Manual states that the MSL bit of I2C_SR2 is cleared by hardware after detecting a stop condition. As the I2C_SR2.MSL bit can be cleared by external events; it's probably not a good idea to use it within the ISR to decide whether the user was performing master or slave I2C transactions.

Unfortunately I have the following limitations:

• I can't switch to the DMA version, as I'm out of DMA channels

• I can't switch to the polling version, as this is a medical device with hard real-time requirements.

• I can't just round up all 1-byte reads to 2 bytes as the part I'm talking to is intolerant to that kind of behavior.

Does anyone know of any other workaround that will function?

Many thanks,

- Malcolm

#stm32-stm32f4-stm32f429-i2c-hal
3 REPLIES 3
Amel NASRI
ST Employee
Posted on June 26, 2015 at 12:36

Hello Malcolm,

Which external events may clear the MSL bit?

In your case, please pay attention that there is no other interrupt with greater priority than I2C. It may cause a delay for ACK clear and STOP bit setting.

-Mayla-

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

malcolm23
Associate III
Posted on July 10, 2015 at 14:14

Hi Mayla,

The MSL can be cleared by a stop condition on the bus, or a loss of arbitration (ARLO=1), or by hardware when PE=0. This is described in the description of the MSL bit of I2C_SR2 in the reference manual (section 2.6.7).

When the user calls HAL_I2C_Master_Receive_IT, it makes sense that the HAL will call back to the users HAL_I2C_MasterRxCpltCallback; however the HAL doesn't remember exactly what operation it's doing; instead it ''infers'' the type of operation that was in progress based on the I2C register states.

The HAL only infers it's doing a ''Master'' operation if the ''MSL'' bit is set; but the MSL bit can be cleared for different reasons (Stop condition on the bus, loss of arbitration, or by hardware). As such if any of these events occur, the HAL forgets what type of operation it was doing.

With regards to interrupt priorities; unfortunately I can't make the I2C the highest priority. I'm actually running 4x I2C ports, 4x SPI ports, 2x UARTs, Ethernet, USB, and an RTOS. The devices on the I2C bus are (from the systems perspective) the least important tasks in the system. The RTOS disables interrupts at certain points, and even then as I have four I2C devices I can't make every one of them the the highest priority interrupt.

Many thanks,

- Malcolm

Amel NASRI
ST Employee
Posted on July 13, 2015 at 13:26

Hi nixon.malcolm,

A possible workaround is to set the STOP bit in the interrupt routine, not in HAL_I2C_Master_Receive_IT.

This particular case (master receiver of a single byte) is under review and an official fix for the reported issue will be provided.

-Mayla-

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.