cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Path from using the discovery boards and mbed to then programming / debugging / firmware updates of the chip on my PCB.

jamesnewton
Associate
Posted on May 02, 2014 at 20:58

2nd Try... My 1st post seems to have disappeared.

So the MBED.org site and the ability to debug and program the newer development boards without installing / maintaining / updating and IDE is wonderful. I love that. But how does it translate into my own product, once I leave the development PCB behind and put an ST32F0 chip on my own PCB?

Can I place in an e.g. STM32F072CBU on by own PCB, with a USB port on the board, and then plug it in and use MBED to develop code for it? 

Or do I use the top of the discovery board to debug the uC on my PCB instead of the one on the bottom of the discovery board?

Or do I have to buy a programmer / IDE from somewhere to develop on my own board?

How about in the field firmware updates? Can my users plug USB into my product and have it enumerate as a storage device, then drop an update file I send them onto that device to update my firmware onto the chip?

I'm not finding clear documentation the the path from using the discovery boards and mbed to then programming / debugging / firmware updates of the chip on my PCB.
1 REPLY 1
raptorhal2
Lead
Posted on May 02, 2014 at 22:26

What you seem to be missing is a general understanding of how the Discovery and Neucleo boards USB connects to the micro being programmed.

For Discovery and Neucleo boards, your top USB IDE interface is connected to an on-board ST-Link which uses typically an STM32F103 processor to link to the main board micro SWD pins for programming and debug. Take a look at the board schematic in the User Manual for details.

Your board will need a JTAG or SWD connection for a suitable programming/debug dongle such as a self contained ST-Link, Segger, J-Link or similar device supported by your IDE. You can rig a Discovery board to be a SWD port, but a dedicated dongle is more desireable. After reprogramming for your product board configuration, you should be set to finish development integration.

Whether or not users can use any product board USB connectors for updates is up to your design.

Cheers, Hal