Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmware update over the air STM32L151 Microcontroller

anand2399
Associate
Posted on November 06, 2014 at 08:30

Hello,

We are planning to use STM32L151 Microcontroller for the GPS Tracker device application. One of our requirement is to update the firmware of the micro controller over the air. The device has a quad band GSM module to connect to GSM/GPRS Network. Could you please let us know, how this can be achieved and whether the selected ST microcontroller support firware update over air. Need you valuable suggestions.

Any more information feel free to mail me back.

Looking forward to hear from you soon.

Regards

-Anand M

3 REPLIES 3
Posted on November 06, 2014 at 13:54

The STM32 has no idea what ''Over-the-Air'' means. What Air? How?

You'll have to code any update solution based on your connectivity and infrastructure. You'd need to serve images, and the modem could presumably implement HTTP GET, or FTP, via a socket stack. You'd ideally want some place to store the firmware image, before validating it, erasing the current application and replacing it. ST provide FLASH calls in it's Standard Peripheral Library.
Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
anand2399
Associate
Posted on November 07, 2014 at 10:53

Hi Clive1

Thanks for the reply.

As I mentioned we have a GSM Module by which we can receive the image.

So could you tel me for STM32 contrllrs, the image received should be in what format? Is it should be .bin or .hex or any other? Any decoding/ checksum need to be implemented to write once again in to internal flash.

Could you please clarify me on this.

Thanks for the support

Regards

Anand M

Posted on November 07, 2014 at 15:02

You will need to create the code. You might want to review the IAP (In Application Programming) examples.

I use a binary form with a longitudinal 32-bit CRC

The System Loader doesn't really do what you want, but you should review it's design and the Flash Loader Demonstrator (with source).
Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..