cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST-LINK/V2-1 on STM32F429I-DISCO

floppes
Associate
Posted on May 14, 2014 at 17:57

I have both an STM32 Nucleo and STM32F429I-DISCO discovery board. On the Nucleo the ST-LINK is version 2-1 which creates a virtual COM port on Windows that is connected to USART1 of the target MCU. This is very handy for debugging messages.

On the STM32F429I-DISCO USART1 RX and TX can also be connected via solder bridges to the ST-LINK MCU, but it is an ST-LINK/V2.

Can I flash the ST-LINK/V2-1 firmware on the STM32F429I-DISCO to have a virtual COM port there, too?

#st-link/v2-1-stm32f429i-disco
3 REPLIES 3
Posted on May 14, 2014 at 18:55

I don't think it works like that, you can flash it back and forth with different firmwares, the most current being J20, and try for yourself.

The firmware do support SWV/SWO, and you can use the ST-Link Utilities to display that channel. Some DISCO board require a Solder Bridge (SB) be made to connect PB3 (SWO) to the STM32F103 providing the ST-LINK functionality. Also had this working with the Nucleo boards

On the STM32F429I-DISCO SB9 needs to be made

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
st140728
Associate II
Posted on November 08, 2015 at 04:31

I've just got the 

STM32F429I-DISCO and I'm wondering 

1) how to upgrade the ST-Link on board - I found some descriptions on the internet, but surely there must be a STM version of this. RN0084 seems to have version info but not how to. RN0093 seems slightly different. 

2) Does the ST-Link/V2 support a windows based com port via the hardware F429I Uart1 Tx/Rx that is shown on the schematics. Its seems like other embedded JTAG/SWD (Freescale K20 and mbed boards) do this. For the time being I'm using the uart1 tx/rx to FTDI cable which the drivers creates a virtual com port.

thanks

Posted on November 08, 2015 at 04:36

1) ST has stand-alone tools, and there's usually a menu item in the ST-LINK Utilities.

2) I don't think this is available on the STM32F429I-DISCO, just boards supporting mbed, like the NUCLEO, and STM32F469I-DISCO. As I recall the mbed boards use a larger, more powerful, STM32F103 part to do the ST-LINK + VCP functionality.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..