Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F103RB ADC Noise

jamie
Associate II
Posted on May 27, 2014 at 17:06

Hi

I'm having problems with noise on the STM32F103RB ADC.

At the VDDA pin there is 20mV pk-pk noise from a

300KHz

switch regulator.

I am using the recommended 1uF || 10nF caps on the pin.

I was going to add a series ferrite to block the switching noise but when I came to look for the design steps it looks like ferrites are for noise in the MHz range.

Can anyone advise on options for putting a simple filter stage between my 3V3 rail and VDDA pin to attenuate the 300KHz switching noise.

I would like to attenuate by an order of magnitude, it is currently 20mV pk-pk

Any help would be highly appreciated

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
raptorhal2
Lead
Posted on May 27, 2014 at 20:28

Fix the source of the problem. TO-220 or D-Pak voltage regulators have less than a millivolt noise.

The ferrites will attenuate processor MHz switching noise ringing back up the VDD pins.

Cheers, Hal

jpeacock2399
Associate II
Posted on May 27, 2014 at 21:24

Many buck regulators put a LOT of capacitance on the output side, on the order of 50-100uF.  Try the brute force method, put a big cap on the output side of the regulator (and watch the ESR, use a low ESR like an aluminum cap).  Doesn't hurt to have some larger caps on the input side too, depending on what kind of source for your power.

Jack Peacock

jamie
Associate II
Posted on May 28, 2014 at 09:12

Thanks to both of you for the info.

chen
Associate II
Posted on May 28, 2014 at 10:15

Hi

''Fix the source of the problem.''

Definitely!

A further note:

'' TO-220 or D-Pak voltage regulators have less than a millivolt noise.''

Note sure if he meant - replace your ''

300KHz

switch regulator'' with a Voltage regualtor.

If he mean put one in series with your switching regulator - be aware Voltage regulators can still pass high frequencey noise, I have been investigating building hybrid PSUs (Switching back end and Voltage Regulator front end - to reduce the power dissipation in the voltage regulators but have found that VRs do pass high freq noise).

Also, check if the ADC has a separate supply/reference input. If so, you can use a separate supply/reference to the ADC from the rest of the processor. This is a common trick to reduce noise to ADC/DACs and keep PSU efficiency.