cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitex's STM32-PerformanceStick - other IDEs apart from HiTOP5 supported?

jteng7
Associate II
Posted on November 29, 2008 at 17:18

Hitex's STM32-PerformanceStick - other IDEs apart from HiTOP5 supported?

11 REPLIES 11
jteng7
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 12:49

Hi everyone,

has anyone gotten IDEs apart from the included HiTOP5 to work with this evaluation board?

I was thinking along the lines of IDEs such as IAR or Crossworks.

Many thanks in advance for your help!

jj
Associate II

Hi-

If your board has a JTAG connector you should be good to go.

If no JTAG - perhaps you can ''bring out'' the appropriate JTAG pins

and create your own connector. You must disable any competing JTAG signals made by your original board.

jteng7
Associate II

Hi,

Unfortunately, there is no JTAG connector on this evaluation board.

Also, the JTAG signals are not brought out to any headers and there is a permanent plastic encasing ''covering'' the possibility of reworking the JTAG signals on the board.

To make matters worse, Hitex seems to have hidden all schematics related to the JTAG interface -- they are using a FT2232D IC for USB debug..

[ This message was edited by: jteng7 on 28-10-2008 19:23 ]

jj
Associate II

Ratz - you're out of luck unless you perform a serious, ugly hack.

I must tell you that if you can acquire a JLink you will ''never'' go back to FTDI.

Another thought - IAR & new JLink support SWD (Serial Wire Debug). This reduces your hack to just TWO Signals! You don't need their full schematic - simply locate SWDIO & SWCLK pins on the STM32.

If you're a student you can likely get the JLink @ discount - contact Segger. Good luck - tell us if you try & report results for others...

abraxa
Associate II

''there is a permanent plastic encasing'' - the casing is easily removable, though. Simply pry the plastic on the underside apart from the PCB and the casing comes off.

As for the subject itself... HiTOP does indeed suck but I found it less painful to live with its quirks than trying to mate it with a different IDE. I assume your best bet is to try getting the ''Hitex USB Serial JTAG'' interface driver hooked up to the IDE of your choice.

[ This message was edited by: abraxa on 28-10-2008 21:33 ]

jteng7
Associate II

abraxa - awesome thanks.. didn't realize it would come off so easily ^_^

As for HiTOP, yes, it is a painful IDE (even the backspace key does not work properly and it's very buggy) -- have you by any chance gotten a compiler other than the ''TASKING'' one to work with HiTOP?

I want easily accessible pragmas to store code in RAM (the pragma that the TASKING compiler has does not seem to work -_-)

abraxa
Associate II

Yeah, I'm using it with GCC 4.3.0 and debugging actually works tons better than with Tasking VX, too.

I obtained it by downloading and installing HiTOP 5.3-CTX, grabbing GCC and the ProjectTemplates directory and uninstalling it again. Then I adapted the GCC template to HiTOP 5.2 and have been using it successfully since. I'll explain it on my blog and then post the URL here if you want.

jteng7
Associate II

Hey abraxa - yeah, that would be awesome if you could post it 🙂

Many thanks!

margd123
Associate II

Hi all,

you can store code in Ram using pragma with tasking compiler.

What you should do is enable ''long branch veneers'' from the linker options, because without this option the pragma doesn't work.

good luck:)