cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32 CAN Bootloade Problem! No response!

mario239955
Associate II
Posted on June 11, 2014 at 00:24

Hello All,

I'm trying to implement a CAN bootloader to flash my firmware over the CAN bus network. I'm using the OLIMEX STM32F405 board with CAN transceiver hooked up to both CAN peripherals.

I wrote a host application which should take care of the communication with the board. On the STM32 side I have the boot pins hardwired to boot-loader mode (Boot0 = High, Boot1= Low). 

When I try to send the CAN bootloader commands to init the communication as described in STM Application Note AN3154 the board doesn't respond at all. My CAN network is setup correctly at 125 kbps and standard CAN messages. I made sure that the CAN communication works by checking the tranmission on a separate CAN bus monitor.

I have no clue why the bootloader doesn't respond to my CAN commands. Is there anything else I need to do on the STM32 side other than setting the boot pins as described above? I also tried using the UART bootloader on UART3 which works properly.... only the CAN side is giving me issues.

Any help is very much appreciated!

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Posted on June 11, 2014 at 02:44

This board?

https://www.olimex.com/Products/ARM/ST/STM32-P405/

If not be specific.

Check what state the RS pin of the transceiver

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
mario239955
Associate II
Posted on June 11, 2014 at 02:49

Hello,

No I'm using this board:

https://www.olimex.com/Products/ARM/ST/STM32-H405/

with a custom adaptor board with 2x CAN Transceivers (MCP2551).

What state should the RS pin have during bootloader operation?

Thanks for the quick reply!

Posted on June 11, 2014 at 04:17

If I understand the documentation a high level on RS will put the transceiver in sleep mode, which is not what you want.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
mario239955
Associate II
Posted on June 11, 2014 at 08:03

mario239955
Associate II
Posted on June 11, 2014 at 08:10

mario239955
Associate II
Posted on June 11, 2014 at 17:35

Sorry, somehow my computer messed up...

The RS pin on my board is tied to ground so it shoudn't go to sleep, right?

Is there anything else I need to do in terms of hardware or software to use the bootloader in CAN mode? From my understanding, the STM32 should start up in CAN bootloader mode once the two boot pins are set as described above, correct?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

mario239955
Associate II
Posted on June 11, 2014 at 17:35

Sorry, somehow my computer messed up...

The RS pin on my board is tied to ground so it shoudn't go to sleep, right?

Is there anything else I need to do in terms of hardware or software to use the bootloader in CAN mode? From my understanding, the STM32 should start up in CAN bootloader mode once the two boot pins are set as described above, correct?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!