cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

standard peripherals lib vs. stm32cube - Clearance required

mail239955
Associate II
Posted on June 24, 2014 at 09:59

I am a little bit confused about the differences between the ''standard peripherals lib'' and the ''stm32cube''.

Here is what I figured out so far:

Most of the tutorials I found for the stm32f4xx are using the standard peripherals lib (

stm32f4xx_gpio.h

stm32f4xx_exti.h

), which are the ''old'' libraries.

The ''stm32Cube'' seems to be a update ''new'' library version with different include files (

stm32f4xx_hal_...) and different functions.

Is my understanding correct ?

I cannot run the examples for the ''old'' library when using ''stm32Cube'' installed - is that also correct ?

If I am correct with the upper 2 assumptions, where can I get support for the stm32cube-examples ?

Please help me in understanding the library issue (...says the beginner...).

1 REPLY 1
Amel NASRI
ST Employee
Posted on June 24, 2014 at 12:14

The ''stm32Cube'' seems to be a update ''new'' library version with different include files (

stm32f4xx_hal_...) and different functions.

Is my understanding correct ?

The STM32Cube is a new approach for STM32 libraries offering HAL functions which are hardware independent. So you may use the same prototype for almost all products.

The STM32Cube comes with the 

http://www.st.com/web/en/catalog/tools/PF259242

tool which is a code generator. Please refer to

http://www.st.com/st-web-ui/static/active/en/resource/technical/document/user_manual/DM00104712.pdf

for more details on how to use it.

I cannot run the examples for the ''old'' library when using ''stm32Cube'' installed - is that also correct ?

No, you still be able to run examples from both standard library & cube. You need just to have the standard library downloaded locally.

If I am correct with the upper 2 assumptions, where can I get support for the stm32cube-examples ?

For any help regarding STM32Cube or Standard library, please submit your request on the forum ''[DEAD LINK /public/STe2ecommunities/mcu/Lists/STM32Java/AllItems.aspx]STM32 Software Tools and Firmware''.

Best Regards

-Mayla-

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.