cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stepper Motor Speed Performance (PowerSTEP01 VS Alternative Motor Drive IC)

Cooke.Ernest
Associate II

Posted on March 16, 2018 at 11:32

Hi,

I have an STM32F1 Nucleo Development Board with a PowerStep01 Motor Drive IC.

I have downloaded the X-CUBE-SPN3 source code from the following link on the ST website:

<LINK NO LONGER ACTIVE>

I copied the STM32F0 version of the ‘IHM03A1_ExampleFor1Motor’ example project and I have replaced all the F0 project files with F1 project files as can be seen in the table below:

<LINK NO LONGER ACTIVE>

The motor that I am using is from Oriental Motors (PKP264D14A2-SG10).

The Back-EMF compensation parameters in thepowerstep01_target_config.hfile were setup as per the calculations in Application Note AN4

The over current threshold and stall threshold were set to their maximum values of 1V.

Initial Setting

The folowing speed parameters were applied:

Acceleration - 10,000 steps/second

Deceleration - 10,000 steps/second

Maximum Speed - 1,100 steps/second

Minimum Speed - 0 steps/second

Full Step Speed - 3,000 steps/second

Step Mode of 1/128th is being used.

I was able to get the source code compiled and downloaded onto the F1 Nucleo board successfully.

I can confirm that when I used the above settingwith the source code that the motor operated smoothly with no issues

Setting 2 - Maximum Speed Increased from 1,100 steps/second to 1,200 steps/second.

When I increased the Maximum Speed from

1,100 steps/second to 1,200 steps/second the motor did not operate as smoothly and was getting noticeably noisier.

Setting 3 - Maximum Speed Increased from 1,200 steps/second to 1,800 steps/second.

When I increased the Maximum Speed from1,200 steps/second to 1,800 steps/second the motor was much nosierand stopped moving when it reached its maximum speed.

Alternative Motor Drive IC

I decided to investigatethis further by comparing this motor on an alternative motor drive IC.

I setup the motor using the Initial Settings I described above. The motor operated perfectly at a maximum speed of 1,100 steps/second.

The motor in fact operated perfectly up to a maximum speed of 1,450 steps/second. It began to get nosier after this speed but it onlystopped moving when the maximumspeed was increased to 2,500 steps/second.

This confirms that there is a limitation somewhere with the PowerStep01 IC/PowerStep01 Source Code preventing it to reach the same speed as the alternative motor drive IC.

Can you please suggest any ideas which would improve the performance of this motor?

Kind Regards,

Ernest

bemf stm32f1-nucleo stepper-motor powerstep01 an4144 stm32f1-hal x-cube-spn3 stm32f0-hal ihm03a1

0 REPLIES 0