Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FlashMemory and actual page size

jasson_face
Associate
Posted on July 06, 2014 at 08:42

Hello there,

i have a Problem to understand what the actuall page size in Flash is. I have a smt32f303xxx device and therefore the corrsponding user Manual. On page 48 at Point 3.2.1 Flash Memory Organisation it is written in the text, that the Flash is organized in 64 bit wide cells. The table gives an addresss range of 2048 (2k) per page. Combined that equals to (2k*64Bit)/8 = 15 Kilobytes. But the table gives 2 Kilobyte per page. What do i missunderstand?

best regards,

Justus
1 REPLY 1
Posted on July 06, 2014 at 14:08

Apparently math ones if you arrived at 15K

2KBytes is quoted in 8-bit units, the page has 16Kbits, in 64-bit wide units that's 256 lines

So 256 lines of 64-bits as draw on the silicon. It might be more convenient to think of it as 2KB

K = 1024, in most computer memory contexts, except hard drive capacity specifications.

Why 64-bits? Because FLASH memory is SLOW, and but would take the same time to read 8, 16, 32 or 64 bits if you widened the bus sufficiently, as the instructions are typically 16-bit wide, fetching 4 of them allows you to spreading the cost over subsequent prefetch cycles. ie Buy One, Get Three Free

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..