Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F7 EVAL Boot mode

imtiaz
Associate II
Posted on December 06, 2016 at 02:50

Hi,

I am trying to put the STM32F769i_EVAL into system BOOT mode. I can do this successfully with an F429 Eval but not with the F7 Eval. I can see that when I reset it the normal program does not run , indicating that Bot mode has been entered , but it does not respond to the 0x7f (connect ) command.

I've tried with both my own known working software loader and the ST flash loader. I am using UART 1 which is otherwise working. Ive tries various baudrates down to 9600.

I am pulling up the Boot pin JP1 directly to VDD and resetting the board.

Many Thanks

Imtiaz

#stm32f7-boot-mode
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Nesrine M_O
Lead II
Posted on December 23, 2016 at 16:10

Hi

abdullah.abdullah

‌,

• I recommend you to remove the R124 from your evaluation board then try the test.
  • keep us informed about the result

-Nesrine-

Ifmy suggestanswers your question, please mark it as correct.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Posted on December 06, 2016 at 04:02

With USB attached does it come up in Windows as an STM32 DFU device?

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
imtiaz
Associate II
Posted on December 06, 2016 at 19:01

Hi Clive,

Thank you .Thats a good point. Its not coming up as DFU Device. So All I'm doing is connecting JP1 (BL_BOOT) to 3V3 , resetting the board. I've tried all three USB OTG ports on the Dev Board. Im using the STM32F769I_EVAL. 

Ive also connected it to ST Link utilty and checked that Level 2 protection is not ON in the option bytes. Im a bit stumped as to why it doesnt work. As mentioned befor normal operation ceases indicating it has entered boot mode but it doesnt play ball after that.

Any more pointers to debug issue will be appreciated.

Thanks

Imtiaz

imtiaz
Associate II
Posted on December 06, 2016 at 20:30

Do you mean debug the  system bootloader? I didnt think that would be possible ? How do I do that? 

Tried with F769 Discovery and have the same issue - On the Disco though its not as straight forward as you have to short out R19 which is under the display - its easy enough though. But it doesn't enumerate as a DFU nor work over UART.

Posted on December 06, 2016 at 19:55

I don't have an EVAL series board, my F7's are DISCO and NUCLEO. Doesn't seem like it is getting into the system loader. I'd perhaps tinker with the debugger to see if I can break execution and see where it is.

I will have to review docs to see if there is another jumper or solder-bridge.

imtiaz
Associate II
Posted on December 07, 2016 at 22:34

Hi Clive,

Will you be looking any further into this or do I need to contact ST . Our hardware is being laid out so I need confirmation the boot strategy will work

Thanks

Imtiaz 

Posted on December 07, 2016 at 22:51

Not really something I can throw resources at.

The ST-LINK Utilities has basic debug capabilities via Target -> MCU Core , ie RUN, HALT and STEP

Keil or IAR should be able to debug/step into anything the processor can execute, you won't get source level debugging in the ROM, but you should be able to step around, and review against a disassembly listing.

Posted on December 07, 2016 at 23:32

OK thanks Clive. I'll see what I can find out. Quite frustrating though as

it is basic chip functionality.

Thanks

Imtiaz

ST Renegade
Senior
Posted on December 08, 2016 at 10:35

Have you checked your option bytes? The F7 has two bits influencing the boot mode. Also you can configure the address where to start after reset etc. Check the reference manual for details of those bits, this can also cause you an issue.

Renegade

John Lee_O
Associate II
Posted on December 21, 2016 at 03:27

I've tested also on the F769I-DISCO. The sysboot was not able to be activated by boot0 pin.

So I tried to jump to sysboot region from app fw and confirmed that the DFU had attached to host PC.

I'll come back here if I resolve this issue.