cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F4Discovery Demo quit working

sfugarino
Associate II
Posted on August 09, 2014 at 23:18

The demo program no longer works on my board. I flashed the audio demo from the STM32F4DISCOVERY board firmware package. After playing with it for a while, I flashed the board with the Demonstration hex file from the STM32F4DISCOVERY board firmware package. Now the accelerometer doesn't work. The blink part of the demo works and when I push the button, my computer recognizes the board as a HID device, but tilting and moving the board does nothing. Where do I find the original hex file?

#stm32f4discovery
8 REPLIES 8
sfugarino
Associate II
Posted on August 28, 2014 at 18:04

Is there anybody out there?

Posted on August 28, 2014 at 18:32

Is there anybody out there?

No, clearly there's no one here. It's a forum, the lack of an answer, is an answer in of itself.

Should have saved a copy of the original content, not sure I have one to hand. I have an new STM32F401C-DISCO, but not sure that helps you.

STM32F4-Discovery_FW_V1.1.0\Project\Demonstration\Binary

STM32F4-Discovery_Demonstration_V1.0.0.hex

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
sfugarino
Associate II
Posted on September 07, 2014 at 01:35

I loaded the firmware from the application package and it didn't solve anything. Well, it didn't fix the accelerometer part of the demo. That's what I'm complaining about. The demo worked when I got the board. I played with the audio demo for a while and the loaded the demo firmware again. The accelerometer doesn't work anymore.

Posted on September 18, 2014 at 18:31

Hi fugarino.samuel,

What's the revision of the STM32F4 Discovery board ? MB997B or MB997C ?

Regards,

Heisenberg.

rols
Associate
Posted on March 18, 2015 at 01:52

I haven't plugged my STM32F4 board in for a while, today I did and the accelerometer piece of the demo, which was working previously, also doesn't work any more. Did you get any further to the bottom of this .. a year ago? 

I found and re-flashed the demo, no change there. I have the M8997C revision. 

I can see when I press the user button that the device is recognised as a Joystick, however the LEDs never illuminate when I tilt the board as they used to. 

I have both the STLink and USB cables plugged in, have no particular reason to suspect the connections, the USB interface itself appears to come up, be recognised and enumerate.

Just wondered if you got any further with this. 

Lead
Posted on March 18, 2015 at 13:38

I found and re-flashed the demo, no change there. I have the M8997C revision.

Heisenberg's question for the board revicion implicates some hardware changes.

I guess the the demo is broken (in the new revision), but has a much-less-than-cube priority.

I have some older F4 discoveries around, but honestly never tried this demo.

If the board seems to work otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much about this, except you need it perhaps as starting point for your application.

A diff over the schematics and the BOM might help here.

Posted on March 18, 2015 at 18:45

If a simple voltage test with a scope or multimeter suggests it's power correctly, your next step is to review what the software is actually doing, and use a debugger if necessary.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
jmclaughlin
Associate
Posted on May 06, 2015 at 21:23

From the User Manual regarding MB997 B & C:

---------------------------------------------

Motion sensor (ST MEMS LIS302DL or LIS3DSH)Two different versions of motion sensor (U5 in schematic) are available on the boarddepending the PCB version. The LIS302DL is present on board MB997B (PCB revision B)and the LIS3DSH is present on board MB997C (PCB rev C).The LIS302DL or LIS3DSH are both an ultra compact low-power three-axis linearaccelerometer.It includes a sensing element and an IC interface able to provide the measured accelerationto the external world through I2C/SPI serial interface.The LIS302DL has dynamically user selectable full scales of +-2g/+-8g and it is capable ofmeasuring acceleration with an output rate of 100Hz to 400Hz.The LIS3DSH has ±2g/±4g/±6g/±8g/±16g dynamically selectable full-scale and it is capableof measuring acceleration with an output data rate of 3.125 Hz to 1.6 kHz.The STM32F4 controls this motion sensor through the SPI interface.

-------------------------------------------

There are obviously code differences between the two. Only the ''B'' code is available on the ST website demo download. The ''C'' discovery boards must come with the correct code flashed for the LIS3DSH MEMS sensor.